Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rickf

Converting box blade to cat 0

rickf

Hi,

Finally thought I should give my gannon earthcavator a go with my 720. The earthcavator is a FD-52, One of the large ones, really made for a larger tractor, and heavy! So I have some cat 0 pins, but they're quite a bit smaller than the holes for the pin on the gannon. Just wondering if anyone's done the conversion and has tips to offer. Imagine I'll chuck something in the lathe and make a collar for the pins, but just thought I'd ask.

(If anyone has shanks for the larger old one,I'd love to know.)

Talntedmrgreen

Rick, I'd buy a Cat 1 to 0 adapter bushing, and cut off a few 1/4" long smaller bushings for your pins. You would be into it for $1 or so and they are perfect size and hardened.

midnightpumpkin

Tractor supply has the adaptor bushings you need.

I converted a 48" box blade from cat 1 to cat 0 for one of our Powermax's. The tractor handles it well, anything larger would be iffy in my opinion.

John U

rickf

Thanks all, I didn't know those bushings existed! Stopped by coastal today and picked up a couple. New top links there were cheaper than the shop charge to chase the threads on mine. This Gannon is Cat 1, instead of pins like my cat 0 stuff, has two tabs of 5/8 thick plate ~2" apart with a 7/8" holes in them. Purchased some shims for the cat0 pins but also stopped by the recycle yard and got some 6" long 7/8" bolts for a buck each, thinking for the permanent solution to turn the ends of those down to 5/8 and run the bolt through both support tabs...

It lifted fine, not much clearance, ~6" or so on flat ground. Might have to make a non adjustable very short top link. Should be a good counter balance to the FEL as well. I think it's heavier than the tiller!

rickf

Not sure what you want pictures of.. but here are a few. Purchased this tractor to USE, so I'm not a big maintenance guy for this one, but I did think I should adjust the carb so it was running off choke, rather than one notch choked. of course it's not that simple, not running smoothly like it was... So the Onan will keep running at full idle, no load if I close both the idle and the main jets - is that proper? More fiddling and I'll have to sort something out. The tractor was used hard before me, but I've been pleased, and hope to keep it going.Anyway, I have a gravel drive, during the wet season, the puddles make for potholes. This machine also came with a cat 0 blade that has a hydraulic adjustment, but it's pretty light compared to the gannon, so I'm hoping the earthcavator will rip things up a bit more, might have to fabricate some shanks (they didn't come with). Strangely enough the FD-52 model doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere, but there you have it. Cat0 pin fitted with adapter

gannon1.jpg

Pins with trimmed adapter

gannon2.jpg

More robust permanent solution..

gannon3.jpg

Heavy duty box... Hope it works well.

gannon4.jpg

Model FD-52 doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere, but it does exist, is 52" wide ?!

gannon5.jpg

Sidetracked with a retaining wall for the time being, but this lonely S10 was on the curb for $10 a couple days ago... put the plug in the spark plug cleaner added gas (was stored dry!) and started 2nd pull... Put a new chain on this morning, runs and cuts like crazy. I'm sure they ran to box store and purchased a new something or other, sad.

gannon6.jpg

gannon1.jpg.68a9c1c86582b16d39022087ecc69436.jpg

gannon2.jpg.306f25769719fffd106b1df90c8ae91f.jpg

gannon3.jpg.2eaea0b917990619433d2f9862bad930.jpg

gannon4.jpg.cebfe120f8b8d18f958035af5c37b3bb.jpg

gannon5.jpg.036ce42bd69fc2ce5bb5c01424f83b9b.jpg

gannon6.jpg.b4f6077712c1d0c88a942d5e8494e021.jpg