Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity 5216 price,

richp

hi,
i found a simplicity 5216 for sale. i haven't seen it yet but the seller claims it looks very good and the 42"
deck is in great shape. i didn't get much more specific at the time except that he said its not hydro and it has a manual lift, and the reverse shift fork
is bent. i got the idea that that was basically the only thing wrong with it. his asking price is $300.
is it worth it? is this a garden or lawn tractor?

Re: 5216 These were a good tractor, In our area we still get 800 to 1200 for a clean gear model 42 or 48. That would be gone through and probably some new belts mower brgs etc. This is a lawn tractor and uses a Peerless 5 speed inline shift transmission. The transmission parts are now avaolable from Simplicity, bus are from any Tecumseh/Peerless dealer. If it has reverse problems in may be due to the chain used for the reverse idler. The transmission is shifted by keys that slide through 5 sets of constant mesh gears and into a sprocket for reverse. If the 5speeds forward work the shift fork is probably Ok as it also shifts to rev. These are pretty good trannys and Simplicity always bought the heavier versions of them. Your Tecumesh dealer can sell you a Peerless shop manual that is very good to help you. Probably the biggest problem you will have is getting the wheels off because of rust. Anytime one works on one of these keyed axle tractors it is wise to put anti-sieze on the axles before puttint he wheels back on ato prevent this problem. Before the factory started putting it on in the last few years we used to pull the wheels and put it on as part of pre-delivery. I think you can buy a complete new transmission for less than 500, this is from memory, not checking. Even if you fix the tranny if the rest is good you shouldn't get hurt. If the engine is f=good it would almost bring that and the deck should bring good money. Good luck and have fun with it. Al

The previous post should have said the Peerless parts are NOT available from Simplicity, but are from any Tecumseh/Peerless dealer. Sorry for any inconvenience
Al

thanks for the info Al. it helped me decide that i'm not interested so
if anyone is interested email me and i'll send you the sellers ph. #.
it's located in southwest VA.
brad