Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign series driveshaft lengths

Gordan

Is there a handy guide for lengths of various driveshafts? Specifically, I'm wondering whether there is any interchangeability between the Command one and any other one.

OK, anyone have any idea how long the driveshaft is on a sovereign with a command? I remember I used one with a kt rubber adapter and it worked well.

I've got one, starter solenoid is bad so I haven't run it. It's out of my AGCO Allis. I've got it up in the classifieds. I know you have a bunch of stuff I'd be interested in, so a trade is definitely a possibility.

I repowered a 7100 to a new Command without using the longer driveshaft. Don't actually recall what that driveshaft came from. There is a reasonable amount of fore/aft adjustment at the keyed yoke at the BGB. It has worked very nicely in my work tractor for several years now.:) Per Al Eden, the rubber coupling is important in damping certain harmonics from the Command (and maybe the Triad?) engine to protect the BGB.

The 7116 shaft is longer because the the 16hp is a shorter motor than the command. I have been running a command for a couple years without the nose on the front of the shaft. I would say no on that it is required with rubber coupler. because I run without it.

I also think you can run without the nose on the driveshaft (or rubber coupler). The PO install of a Command into my 75th used the Triad driveshaft without rubber coupler:

IMG_4544a.jpg

However, I think it's best to use the rubber coupler and correct length nose. The rubber coupler to minimize vibration and the correct length nose for best alignment. The driveshaft nose centers in the engine coupler with a plastic bushing as can be seen in the pic of the "long nose" driveshaft for the Command:

Command_DS_Nose.JPG

I believe the nose is longer than the same length KT driveshaft because the Kohler Command driveshaft adapter is longer than the KT adapter:Command adapter:

IMG_4703a.JPG

I don't have a pic of the KT adapter at the moment. Maybe later.

IMG_4544a.jpg.ffd846c026ae4b02101224c191dad9b1.jpg

Command_DS_Nose.JPG.01f15d6c8bc23b7776e340693f319c30.JPG

IMG_4703a.JPG.63729bd2bee1ed3eee939817ef54eea7.JPG

Hi Bill, I agree 1000%, infact that is exactly why I used the rubber coupler. It was smooth as silk and did a fine job. Not required, but hey, if its yours, build it like you want it!

I seem to recall Al Eden talking that the tooling for the rubber coupler had been scrapped by the supplier and that Al was unable to obtain them for his repower kits. He had been working on a replacement design using the fiberglass discs and I thought that he had finished it and was including it in his repower kits before his death.

Here is the posting.

http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=58169&SearchTerms=rubber,coupler

and this post talks about the tooling

http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=56541&SearchTerms=coupler

Either will work fine, all you need to do is span the length. I just am a fan of the kt rubber coupler to reduce the shock. Yep, its only a little but hey, the last sovereign was made in 2001, the newest of the bunch is 12 years old. How many craftsman are still around after only 5 years?:D

quote:Originally posted by stevenj

I seem to recall Al Eden talking that the tooling for the rubber coupler had been scrapped by the supplier and that Al was unable to obtain them for his repower kits. He had been working on a replacement design using the fiberglass discs and I thought that he had finished it and was including it in his repower kits before his death.Here is the posting.http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=58169&SearchTerms=rubber,couplerand this post talks about the toolinghttp://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=56541&SearchTerms=coupler

id="quote">
id="quote">I bought a Command kit from Al Eden about January of 2012 to put into my late Triad-powered Sovereign and I can confirm that it did not come with the rubber coupler. Basically just used the Triad shaft with longer spacers and bolts to connect it to the usual discs. The Triad did not use the rubber coupler either. This set up seems to work well for me so far.