Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PS Sovereign: Update M20 install with pics

Brettw

Picked up a Sovereign with power steering today. It had a Triad in it in need of help, but with the Tractor, snow blower and deck it was worth the trip and money, IMO. Deck is like new, sheet metal on the tractor is A-1, blower is nothing super special, but it's in good shape. Unless it is an easy repair on the Triad, it looks like the new M20 has a home.

PS Sovereign 001.JPG

PS Sovereign 006.JPG

PS Sovereign 004.JPG

Well, finally finished the M20 install, it all ended up together quite nicely.

pssovereign 004.JPG

pssovereign 005.JPG

pssovereign 006.JPG

The muffler from the M18 purchased a few years back was the trick. Made a heat shield, it all clears the headlights. Drilled the frame with a hole for the tailpipe, so even though shorter and lower, it worked as it should, like the older 7100 series.

pssovereign 007.JPG

pssovereign 008.JPG

pssovereign 010.JPG

So, everything works as it should, engine runs out great but the new short block will need to be broken in. Only issues are headlights not working, and the seat nanny has been disconnected (not sure I want to fix that though). So, a power steering Sovereign with a new Magnum 20. This will likely be the keeper. Need to buff out the orange, and she's good to go.

57e058cbc669d_PSSovereign001.JPG.73c7b9521ee8dec97b073d877c984521.JPG

57e058cbdabd4_PSSovereign006.JPG.6b361c086cab5e2575da5fa048bf62f8.JPG

57e058cbebb54_PSSovereign004.JPG.78c7368e91861723d60f15f185fb854a.JPG

57e058cc7d71f_pssovereign004.JPG.8808802fc440cd6b0f022727e65ab5ca.JPG

57e058cc8ec00_pssovereign005.JPG.3e4b2268d2510799314b0966d1647a27.JPG

57e058cc9edff_pssovereign006.JPG.3c3e41440e6db831e98160682a7b3373.JPG

57e058ccae8e6_pssovereign007.JPG.dc2ac263ac781964507ea750bdb42c42.JPG

57e058ccbb81c_pssovereign008.JPG.bd36b3505e52cfd94829cbeded42322e.JPG

57e058ccd5230_pssovereign010.JPG.5a6e7a29115974871fbd02c40dcf2a4b.JPG

Hope the M20 fits. Well it will fit. The Triad - Command frames are shorter and Yukon, stated awhile back that he had to remove headlights so that he had room for the M20 that he installed if I read the post correctly.

The Triad - Command frames are a 1-1/4" shorter in the front length wise and the height is a 1-1/4" shorter as well.

Hmmm. Shoehorn the M20 into this tractor, or transfer the PS to my 7118....... Decisions, decisions.........

I have to keep in mind the PS Sovereign is 15 years newer. No matter how you look at it, that is a plus. And in the end, with a new M20, properly fitted, that tractor would likely be a lifer. What about reviving the Triad for now?

Yukon or Josh would know for sure on that M20. Josh bought it from Dave awhile back. I think the muffler was a little long but that maybe fixable. It definitely would be a lifer that is a very clean looking tractor.

quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

Great find. Seat looks a little rough though. ;);)Waiting for the M20 install pics.

id="quote">
id="quote">Yeah...you guys must have some giant rodents in WI! ;)Dropping the M20 in is tempting....you wouldn't regret it. BUT, if the Triad can run well, I'd be hard pressed not to run her into the ground before pulling it.The headlights will fit, but the heat will be an issue, I would think. It is super tight. On Dave's Sovereign 20, I installed the lenses, and left the buckets out. It has been a long time since I mowed in the dark, and it was too clean to take out in the snow. If you want the lights once the M20 is in, make it a point to modify the exhaust inlets or manifolds to ditch an inch, if you can.

I am not sure what it will take to make the Triad run. Right now it's gotta have valve issues, as it spits back out of the carb. Will probably pull the valve covers tonight and see what the culprit is.

As a fellow triad owner I'm anxious see what you do to fix the triad. Mine only has 14 hours on it and it runs like a top still.

quote:Mine only has 14 hours on it and it runs like a top still.id="quote">
id="quote">

Still runnin' after 14 long laborious hours, eh? Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones.....&:)

Well, I looked at what I could. The pistons are moving up and down, the valve train seems to be working, but there is one side that has little to no compression, and it does blow back through the carb like no other. So I can only assume it has a badly burned intake valve or some other reason the intake valve won't seat.

Me thinks it's M20 time.

Josh,

Will I be using the same driveshaft? I do have a few different drive shafts, one from a KT so I assume that could be used? Or is the frame length and bolt holes an issue with the KT shaft?

Could there be an issue with the crankcase breather? I think I have read somewhere that issues develop because a clogged breather???inquiring minds want to know. jh

Brett,Can't help with the driveshaft question, but I think the frame in your "new" Sovereign is the same as my 75th. Here's a pic of the front of that frame:

IMG_4706a.JPG

All the holes are factory except the four elongated side-to-side holes that were added by the PO in a butchered Command install. Maybe the pic will help. And a request. If you remove the Triad from the tractor you should be able to get a good pic(s) of the power steering "T" that's installed near the hydro lift valve. The PS kit directions for hose installation seem to be different than the way the factory installed PS hoses are installed (based on conversations with others). So if you could take a couple of pics and post them, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Bill, thanks for the pic. I will snap a few of the connections setup for the PS and lift. The M20 is going to be going in, the Triad isn't looking like it will be revived.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:if i remember a 7117 muffler will work but i cant say for sure.id="quote">
id="quote">

It will need a little bit of tweaking, but it will work. Headlights are apparently the issue. Haven't gotten that far yet. Right now running a Sunstar muffler (sans hood) for shake down fixes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, On the triad is a base plate that raises the engine up about 7\8 of an inch. This plate works great for repowering a sovereign with a Briggs vanguard. So save that part. thats what I used for my repower.

Great looking tractor.

Ken in MI

quote:Hello, On the triad is a base plate that raises the engine up about 7\8 of an inch. This plate works great for repowering a sovereign with a Briggs vanguard. So save that part. thats what I used for my repower.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Ken, I wish I had that info a few weeks back when I sold the Triad. Unfortunately, it went out the door with the old engine.