Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K321 won't start

DMKNLD

My 7114 has been a little rough starting of recent, mostly when it is warm, now it won't turn over at all. I put a new Champion H10 spark plug in, it has a new coil and plug wire, and I readjusted the static timing to the "S" mark on the fly wheel. It's back fired a few times lately so I pulled the head to check the head gasket and it did have a bad spot on the gasket so I replaced that, but still no luck.

It's getting a good blue spark to the plug and the fuel pump is working, and the battery seems to turn it over fine but it won't fire, so I'm not sure what else to check for? No interlock seat safety on this '83 Sovereign. Any troubleshooting help would be most appreciated.

I believe if you have spark (properly timed), compression, and fuel, it has to run. If it won't have you tried: Putting a bit of fuel in the intake body and tried to start it. If it starts and runs, you are likely not getting fuel to the cylinder. Another way to check, is after trying to start it, after multiple cranks, pull the plug. If it is wet, you should have fuel. If it is dry, then try the above (adding a small amount of gas into the intake). If it runs for a bit until the fuel is used, you have carb issues. If you have spark, and fuel and still have no firing, it sounds like compression. Stuck valve? Old worn out engine?

Not sure, good luck. (PS after adding a dash of fuel to the intake (air filter opening), replace the air filter before trying to start. Backfire will be suppressed and this is the safe way to test.

Good thoughts, Brett. I'll try the fuel into the intake, though I got a couple of backfires out of the muffler when I choked it heavily, so it seems like the carb is getting some fuel to the cylinder. My Walbro carb bowl gasket is bad, so I will replace that. I rotated the engine when I had the cylinder head off, and the valves weren't frozen - there was a little carbon buildup on the head and valves but not enough to affect the combustion or valve seating I don't believe.

I've only got 100 hrs or so on my rebuild (done at my local small engine shop when I was on post-surgery lift restrictions last fall). The only part of the electrical system I haven't replaced this mowing season is the condenser, but I have a Kirk engines "Points Saver" transistor in the mail that will replace the condenser. Maybe that will fix my starting problem.

No, I didn't check the valve seating, just noted that they weren't frozen. I'll recheck the valve clearance and see if they could have gotten out of adjustment since my rebuild. I also checked the spark quality in the dark last night when it was easier to see, and it was more whitish than blue, even w/ a new coil, spark plug and plug wire, so maybe it is my condenser perhaps going bad.