Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

917H moving forward

Gary

Progress has been happening...even at my slow pace. I moved most of the tractor parts to the reloading room in my basement. It's much more comfortable here, as the weather gets less friendly.

Clear1.jpg

Clear2.jpg

Clear3.jpg

Clear4.jpg

Clear5.jpg

Clear6.jpg

Clear7.jpg

Clear8.jpg

USN.jpg

Most of the working orange pieces have been blasted, painted and cleared, along with the black. I've been using Rustoleum Allis-Chalmers Orange, and Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black. The results look good to my eyes. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a working tractor, not a parade queen. The paint job isn't perfect, but it will have to do.It ought to steer better than new. I'm using thrust washers at the spindle pivots. The steering gear has had shims added to keep the end play at .009. I'm adding molybdenum disulfide dry lubricant (now that's a mouthful), on the teeth. This stuff is slicker than snot! I'll take some better pictures of it later.I ordered new decals from Vintage Reproductions. The product they put out is second to none. I also ordered a bunch of new parts from Jacks. All of this should be here by the weekend.Anyway, this is where I'm at today...slow but sure.

Torches for the patio. I built a wooden rack to store them on, when not in use.

The picture with the engines in the background has the original KT17 on the left. It still runs fine, but needs both crank seals replaced. The one on the right is a new M18. Never been run. Got it at a good price.

The source of the "poor mans power steering" probably came from here.

Search the Archives.

But I like the addition of the bottom cup, and the ball joint dust boot. When I did mine I did not think to grind back the tubes to allow for all the thrust washers.

• 4 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Gary

Dog tags and lighter are from the Navy, 1972 - 1976. USS John F Kennedy.

id="quote">
id="quote">Looks like you and ZIPPOvarga share both the Navy and Zippo connection.Nice looking project. Good luck as it winds down.Wayne

Another Navy reloader, huh. I know it has nothing to do with the tractor (which looks great) but always glad to see another reloader in an unrelated forum.

Thanks for all the comments.

Love to load rifle ammo. I don't do a lot of hunting anymore, but I do enjoy some friendly competition;) Used to shoot 1000 yard matches at Camp Atterbury (south of Indy). Qualified as Expert using a WWII 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. Have to pay close attention to what you're doing, when loading ammo for 1000 yards.

My parts order from Jack's, and the decal order from Vintage, both arrived on 11/22/13. Waiting on just 3 items from Jack's, to complete the order. Both of these places are great to do business with.

• 2 weeks later...

Received the rest of my order from Jack's, but the project is slowing down for the holidays. We're doing Christmas on 12/7/13 (yep, Pearl Harbor day). My nephew is home on leave from the Army, so we're all getting together while he's here. He works on helicopters, and is going to train as a gunner. Absolutely a top notch young man.

Hope to get back on track in a week or two.

Shake your Nephew's hand for us and thank him for his service to our nation. Then get back to work on the tractor! LOL I'm at about the same stage with my Homelite T-16H build. We're in this together!

Awesome job and attention to detail! Your paint job is great, and you cleaned everything thoroughly and took you time. I don't know a better combination. dOd

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Jac
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site maintenance scheduled to begin 10a CDT on 3/16/24
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts