Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7010 to a 7016

bud119195

I got a 7010 that the Briggs 10 hp engine is getting a little tired and was thinking of putting a 16hp briggs in it.It looks like it should be the same but just checking wiyh all the experts,Also is the carb for a 10hp the same as the 16??

The 16 hp will definitely drop right in and should wire easily, both are mag ignitions. If the 16 hp is gear start vs S/G, you won't need the large voltage regulator.

As to the carb, I think a 10 hp and 16 hp are different, but I'm not positive. Someone else should confirm.

The 10HP uses the medium flo-jet and the 16HP uses the large flo-jet. The medium will work fine with the 16HP but you will not get full power as it cannot provide enough fuel and air mix for the full 32 cubes of displacement.

If you go by cfm the 10hp med flo jet will feed the 32 to around 26-2800 rpm just fine. After that it is a restriction but if you have the 32 CID intake manifold that has greater volume it will not be very noticeable, in fact if you were using that engine in a stock class pulling tractor it would be the way to go as it offers better low speed fuel atomization witch enhances low speed torque. Now if peak hp is what you want then go with the 16 hp carb to get the full rated power. It's larger cfm will start showing up at about 26-2800 rpm over the smaller carb and by 3200 rpm has a clear advantage. If you are using this engine in the 3600 rpm range at max power load it is the way to go as it's greater cfm will help keep the rpm up in this range better than the smaller carb.

In the end you started with 10 hp and it did the job, now a 32 CID will produce far mor than that even with the small carb so to me it's simple- run the small carb

Wow. did not know all that about carbs and their cfm.

I'm planning to turn my 3310 into a 3316, but my 16hp replacement already has what I think is the correct carb.

From what I have seen, the only difference between the 10 and 16hp carburetors is the nozzle. Otherwise they are the same and are both considered "Large Flo-Jet" by the Briggs manual. As for the intakes, by the early 70's all of their engines had the long cast-iron intake, whether they were labeled a 9, 10, 14, 15, or 16hp engine.

our 10 hp 2010 has a short(out 2 1/2" and elbow down) manifold as does the 2012 I have. The 3416H with 16hp has more of a 4-5" long continuous curve type of manifold. That is what I mean when I say short and long.

On the cfm and throttle response and hp/tq keep this in mind, full throttle is not where the throttle lever is, it is where the butterfly in the carb is and is controlled by the governor, and on a 4 stroke engine it only draws fuel/air 1 time for every 2 revolutions. That's why our 1L Toro GM 345's 4 cylinder engine's carb has a 9/16" venturi (opening)as it is a 3000rpm limited engine and a aggressive governor and a large manifold plus the fastest throttle response with no bog/hesitation/spit/sputter and needs very little choke to start, and still delivers 45hp and 62 ft/lb @ 3000 rpm witch is 9 hp/ 18ft/ lbs ahead of the foreign car it came from at that rpm.

You can do a lot with different carbs and manifolds, if you have the OE setup that's usually a good all around system but.......

• 3 months later...

Changed the 10 to a 16 today since the 10 blew a rod.Everything works good except I will have to rebuild carb.Question I have is when I rebuild the carb and it comes with different nozzles and needles which ones should I use sinc the motor is now a 16.Also will need the Metal piece that bolts to head between the shroud and head.

I have measured the throat diameters.

30ci engine (30424 12hp) .875

32ci engine (32431 15hp) .912

So there is a difference, not just the nozzle.

Don't know what the 10hp carb is as I have never measured one yet.