Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MrSteele

Transmission troubles

MrSteele

Any of you that have had a Landlord transmission apart to replace the axle tube ever had any problems putting the housing back together?The last washer shows to be round inside, not made to slip over the keys. In that position, the housing of mine simply will not go back together. After taking it back apart for the umpteenth time, I can see the impression of the keys in that washer. The keys will fit in the housing, and if I leave the washer out, the housing will go back together, but then the keys are not secured. I don't think they would ever come out on their own. But, since Mr Murphy moved in down the road, I don't want to give him any help.

ss74nova

I've never had one apart yet but here is a link for the large frame tractors manual & it has the procedure for disassembly & reassembly of the transmission in there if you don't already have it. If this link doesn't work then go to RayS profile & look under cool links. Hope this helps,

Tim

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=ifDDFO9jwJ9iGclRzOfEP5NRQpe

gwiseman

I had one apart several years ago and, like you, back together several times before I got it to fit correctly. I rearranged the spacer/washers and I believe I did what worked rather than follow the picture sequence. I'll take a look at my notes and pictures to see if I recorded.

MrSteele

Found the problem, after a few more attempts last night. I had the wrong keys on the axle tube, or, I might have the wrong keys on it now, not sure. I used different keys that were a bit shorter, and it is assembled. When I disassembled, there were fewer washers than the assembly pics showed. All are in now. I replaced bushings for the tube, all seals, several broken keys, and the cluster gear shaft. Whoever was in there before me had turned the end of the shaft down to 5/8" from the 3/4" it was supposed to be. I cannot tell why that was, but it is too round to be worn, and it had a grease groove cut into it. I also replaced the bearing on the end of that shaft. Before the tube broke, shifting into second was impossible without scratching the gears, I'll attribute that to that turned down shaft allowing extra play on second gear. I have dry shifted it through all gears and it is smooth. I'll know more in a couple of days when I get the tractor back together. I ruined a great paint job on the transmission beating on it with a rubber hammer, trying to get it back together, will have to touch that up before final installation!

ss74nova

I found this old thread from the early years of this site with a lot of great info & it talked about a frame up restoration on a 2012 landlord with a transmission rebuild also,so I bookmarked it. :) Somehow I managed to delete all of my bookmarks at once. wah I remembered some of them & managed to get most of them back. Here's the link for anybody interested.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&topic_id=10303