Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HB212/ Solenoid

RJA

Hello,

I have a HB212 (great machine) that suddenly will not turn over at all. I had to move the tractor so I used a screw driver to touch the screw on top of the solenoid (believe goes to the starter switch) and the screw that connects the lead from the battery. The tractor turned over and started up just fine. Two questions is it the solenoid that needs to be replaced? The second question is if so where do I find one. The B/S engine model is 300421-0127 (12 hp 1 cylinder) ( I think that the correct number , hard to read the last number. However the parts manual shows no solenoid for this model engine. Also the air filter that was in the tractor was a large paper filter, parts manual shows a foam filter. Confused.

Thanks

Bob

By jumping those 2 terminals with a screw driver, you effectively bypassed the key switch and fuse if it has one as well as any safety switches, and proved that the solenoid works fine.

If not mistaken, that model should have a safety switch (neutral) on the linkage under the seat.

I would start with that, then key switch, then wiring.

I have a B112 with the same engine and mine did that last year. Turned out it was simply the fuse going to the key switch was bad. Replaced it and it has worked fine since. I know mine has the foam filter. I believe you can get them from the Briggs website, and I found the same from my local Parts City auto parts store.

Thanks guys,

I will check out the switch and the fuse.

I am still unable to find a parts diagram that corresponds to the engine and electrical system of this HB212 tractor. The engine model number is 300421-0127-01. The Briggs website does not recognize the last two digits 01 and only list 300421-0127-99. Appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks