Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire patch in sidewall

rich_kildow

I have a craftsman II 12hp that picked up a strand of barbed wire in the sidewall of a back tire. It's holding air as long as I don't move the wire around. Can I just use a automotive push through patch to fill this? I know patching the sidewall of a car tire is a no-go, but that's because of the stresses on the sidewall during corning. As quick as that thing is in 6th, I can't imagine I'm going to delaminate a garden tractor tire.

I still need a tire if it doesn't work, but just curious if anybody has tried it.

Tire plug in sidewall of our yard care business tandem trailer 3 seasons back, still there holding 60psi but we do carry a spare. On the Craftsman I would not hesitate as in the worst case it will get you by until you can tube it.

I had to tube the other side but when I tried to pull this wheel it was seized onto the axle. I've sprayed it with penetrant several times over the last year so I'll give it a shot, but I'd rather patch than trying to wrestle a new tire on with the wheel still on the tractor.

The other thing is our Hustlers came with that green flat stop sealer in them when new and we had 0 flats with them until they were bald. Of course I could write another paragraph and getting the green stuff out when changing tires........

My local Simplicity dealer will mount the tire for you for $16. I had an original tire on a 60's Broadmoor that I wrestled with for 2 hours min. I couldn't get the bead to seat and still ended up bring it to them. (they struggled mightily to get the bead to seat, too!) Sometimes that's the best $16 I spend all week. Dave

Good time for a neat story.

Around the early 70s, I think, when they first came out with the plugs the vendor, probably tech, had several of them in the front tire sidewall on his van to demonstrate how well they worked. No small van either.

I would never recommend plugs in sidewall for over the road use. Fine on a garden tractor, for sure.

Gary