Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7112 won't shift from low to high

7112man

Hey all, just got around to an old project I've had laying behind the barn. Nothing is wrong with it really it just sat for a long time and I got a great deal on it, too great to pass up. It's a 7112 that runs beautifully even though it sat. Flushed the fuel system, replaced the fuel filter, and gave her a little starting fluid and she fired right up! Gotta love that 12 hp Kohler idle.

However, I can't shift from low gear to high gear. Under the seat it seems like the clutch isn't allowing the hi/low range shifter to move even with the clutch disengaged. There is a stud there for adjusting and it is maxed out. Any ideas what issue I might be having? Also, I have no brakes. I haven't checked them yet either. Anything I should look for? I just assume they're worn out.

Lastly, any ideas where I could find a snowplow/snow blower and a mower deck? Figure they may come in handy. I'm looking to start a Simplicity collection and I'd like to collect as many parts and accessories I can find! Hoping I can find an old Simplicity diesel someday.

It has been awhile for me but-is the arm for the idler pulley being pulled full down? Mine had to be pretty much parallel to the ground to shift. If you have no more adjustment something is stretched/bent/worn but for testing a few washers or a longer threaded bolt do wonders. Rust in any of the pivots/slides was bad news in mine as after a winter of being trailered around blowing snow in spring I needed low for tilling gardens and that was disassemble, wire brush,oil reassemble to get working again. Try to push the belt tensioner down by hand(not running) and try to shift it. if it wont shift then something in the pivots/slide is binding. If it will shift the clutch rod needs more adjustment. That's about all I remember without going in the back shed and looking at mine that I swapped for a hydro.

So my clutch is adjusted as much as it can be adjusted but I still have a bit to go before the hi range can be used. Are there any other adjustment points for the clutch or maybe even the hi/low range shifter?

Also on a side note, the vibrations from this thing running have loosened some wires and now my engine doesn't turn over when I turn the key but my lights work. That's the bigger issue now, but I am still hunting for the adjustment answer! Thanks for the help so far.