Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Used my tractor to take down a large oak tree

jsarro

Last weekend I had some fun with my AGCO ST25. We had this really old dead oak tree in the woods that I was concerned about. The tree was massive around and housed more than it's share of critters over the years.

It had lost nearly all it's branches. I did not want anyone to get hurt if this tree fell unexpectedly, so I decided to take it down. The way it was rooted it may have stood another 5-10 years.

I hope you enjoy the video.:D

http://youtu.be/fB-nUZIzdjU

The more I use this machine, the more respect I have for it in what it can do.

Jack,

Thanks for sharing the videos.

A tip for next time: Put the line as high up the tree as you can to increase leverage. I'd bet if you had the line at the top it would have come down on the first pull.

But then you'd have had less seat time......

Some people get to have all of the fun! If I had that SWEEEET tractor, I would be looking for all kinds of different excuses to use that tractor. ;)

quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

Jack,Thanks for sharing the videos.A tip for next time: Put the line as high up the tree as you can to increase leverage. I'd bet if you had the line at the top it would have come down on the first pull. But then you'd have had less seat time......

id="quote">
id="quote">Bill thanks for the feedback!Unfortunately, the top of that tree was so rotted you could see through it. It would have snapped off, and I would have been retying it off again. That is why I went low with the strap.If it did not go with the tractor pull, I was going to cut a wedge out and then pull it over.It worked out great though, as now I have no stump to get rid of, the whole thing uprooted. :D

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Some people get to have all of the fun! If I had that SWEEEET tractor, I would be looking for all kinds of different excuses to use that tractor. ;)

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks for the compliments on the tractor! dOdI bought this machine in June, and I am just getting the time to get to some fun stuff. :DThe mower is like a wind tunnel turbine.A few weeks ago I dug up and move a good sized Holly Tree.The week before that I spread some crushed rocked around the chicken pen.Overtime I am justifying what I spent on this machine. It would be hard to be without it now.I still love the smaller Simplicity's and Allis's. They all have their duties. dOd

Nice tractor and video Jack. I have a Massey GC2310 TBL and couldn't be without it now that I've had it a few years. It's amazing what those little tractors can do.

quote:Originally posted by Tonyvdb

Nice tractor and video Jack. I have a Massey GC2310 TBL and couldn't be without it now that I've had it a few years. It's amazing what those little tractors can do.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks Tony,I know you have that really nice Massey with the FEL and backhoe. I love the Massey's. AGCO phased out the compact tractors under the AGCO name as the Massey's they make are identical. Fun stuff! dOd

quote:Originally posted by huffy

That's a sweet tractor, Jack

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks Huffy, I take that as a big compliment, as I really respect the work you have done on tractors!It has been a fun machine and is really well made.I am thinking of getting a rear grader blade for the winter and soil work. I will need a counter weight for the snow season when I take the 500lb mower off.I figure the grader will make a sweet compliment to the FEL in the snow. :DI also want to set up the 3112 this season with the blower and cab, and one of my other smaller machines with a 46" trip plow.Winter should be a blast!:D

quote:Originally posted by yukon

that was awesome nice video and nice tractor.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks for the compliments, glad you enjoyed the video! :D