Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

fuelling problems

hybridv8

Hi,I am getting near the end of the rebuild of my 7116 but I have hit a wall as to a carb/fuelling problem that I was hoping the experts on here could help with,I have put a brand new carb on and brand new governor springs I have set the governor as per zippo vargas video on you tube but the problem persists,she will start and idle very smoothly but when I get past about half revs the govener springs pull the throttle open and sort of choke the engine and it dies until I shut the throttle down,It may be an adjustment error on my part as I had to make the two governor links from a coat hanger from advice I got on here,but I made them using my landlord as a guide so they should be fine,the carb worked perfectly on the landlord so it isn't that,any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Exact Gov linkages are critical...I would buy some from a parted out engine on E-bay. You need exact linkages & springs to get back to factory preformance IMO...Good luck sm01

Sounds to me like you have the idle circuit set too rich and the main circuit set too lean. The engine may be running primarily off the idle circuit till it gets to about half throttle, but since the main jet is set too lean, then it chokes off.

Try opening the main jet up 1/4 turn and see if it revs higher. If it does, then open it another 1/4 turn. Do this till it runs at full throttle.

The idle circuit will need to be adjusted after this or maybe even during the process of making the other adjustment, if the idle becomes too rich to continue running.

The main jet and the idle jet have to be adjusted. There is not a setting that will always make the engine run right. The settings prescribed in the manual only get you in the ballpark, then you have to adjust from there.

I hope this helps. If you need adjustment instructions let me know and I will give you the specific instructions.