Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brettw

Time for some collective wisdom

Brettw

Well guys, I dropped the M20 in the late model Sovereign. It fits within the frame with a very minor modification.......so far. Anyway, it's just sittin' in there. So here is the dilemma: I have three driveshafts, multiple flex discs, a few rubber couplers, and a tape measure. Two driveshafts, bolting plate to bolting plate 17-1/2" (off of the original Triad engine) and 20" off of some other tractor. Both of these are set up for flex discs on each end. One driveshaft that is set up for the rubber coupler at 19".

I could make the 17-1/2" driveshaft and the rubber coupler work for overall length. But the 17-1/2" shaft is not set up for the rubber coupler. I can make the 20" driveshaft work, but it would be with dual flex discs and no bushings. So I would have to grind a bit of the engine mounting plate to allow for clearance of the heads of the bolts on the flex disk.

Bottom line: I can use some creative engineering to make this work, or get the correct driveshaft/coupler through one of you guys, if we know what we need. I need somebody who has made the swap from Triad to Magnum and has crossed this bridge.

Thanks in advance!

Brettw
quote:Take the metal off the KT coupler and just use the rubber with longer bolts, that's what I did and it worked very well.id="quote">
id="quote">

Mike, I looked at that, and it would work...........length wise. But, I see how the rubber couplers are set up. The round rod of the driveshaft protrudes through the mounting plate and goes into a nylon bushing in the metal part of the coupler you speak of. I can see how the rubber coupler setup is designed. The shaft goes into the nylon bushing and keeps the center consistent, the rubber part of the coupler takes up the torsion and torque vibrations and variations. Without the driveshaft being held in place by the metal bracket and nylon bushing, I would be concerned that the rubber coupler would allow vibration as it flexed rotationally. The fiber discs can flex but are ridged in regards to rotational vibration. That is my concern. That being said I shall go back into the lair, and I shall create what I must. It shall come alive!

CarlH

Ditto to what Ray said. My setup has no nose into the adapter and it has worked fine. I can see that contained alignment would be better but see no real problem running without it as long as your rubber coupling is in good shape.

Brettw
quote:I secretly hope it lets loose in all its glory thru the seat on just my old one!id="quote">
id="quote">

I think you are much to kind. Certain indiscretions do not have a punishment severe enough for true retribution.

Burntime

Karma baby, Karma! But I agree with you. I may have found a ps sovy. Its got a blower with electric rotator, cab, and deck. It is a 2001 with the triad and 11 hours on it. It looks literally like brand spankin new...downside is a triad. Guy started at 3k, down to a little under 2k. It would be almost $100 in gas, but it would afford me the time to start looking for a command to shoe horn in. Had a 20hp in the last, may be time to do some research and maybe a 23 or 25hp! Command of course!

yukon

ive done 2 of them the first one was a 1999 sov put a 20 hp kohler in it i put the drive shaft ,bushing, and the metal piece on the nose of the bushing,the second was 20 hp both were bolted to the frame with a little elongating on one hole right now im waiting for a 18 hp kohler on the third ,im going to make it a plug and playit had a command that blew up this is a pic of it

IMG_3617.JPG

IMG_3617.JPG.60165a127a52b310be4c5f1c324102c6.JPG

ardisam

Hey, Brett! Want the driveshaft back? I found one in Cumberland parents house, and it requires the rubber coupler. I would more than happy to ship it back to you. Let me know.