Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bigten Carb.

bigten65

Not trying to be a web site cop cop but next time try asking in "talking tractors" section instead of "what its worth" as you will get a faster answer! dOd

These carbs are well know for dripping gas. Most guys just add a shutoff valve for about 4.00 on the fuel line and then just turn the gas off and run the carb dry when they park them.

Otherwise, you can pull the bowl and try bending the metal tab down on the float where the needle valve sits. This will allow the needle to seat at a lower position with less gas in the bowl to overflow. Do NOT move the tab too much as the float should shut off the fuel when its level or in a slightly downward position.

Best of luck,

Mark

Also to add to Mark's replay, the float is not easily accessible on the older Brigg's carbs. You have to remove the emulsion tube/high speed jet in order to separate the upper and lower carb bodies. Thus, getting access to the float and the needle valve assembly.

I would go with the shutoff valve!dOd

Cheers,

Wayne

The proper float setting is achieved when the carb is apart, and you are holding the bowl upside down. The float will be parallel with the top of the bowl with the needle shut off.

Another common mistake is that the rebuilder has replaced the neoprene tipped needle valve with the solid one. Some carbs have a neoprene seat that uses the solid needle. These things don't work well with a metal on metal float valve.

Another common leak on these happens to come from the emulsion tube.

There is a seat on the tube that seals off the fuel. When this seat is compromised, there will be a leak that is most noticeable at idle.

I had taken an old tube and carefully ground off the threads. When I rebuild a carb, I would tale some ole fashioned toothpast and lap the seat. Clean out the residue and reassemble.

Wayne and TIM both raise a valid point...The Emulsion tube MUST be removed before you drop the bowl or you will bend or break it! I also like the idea of cleaning the threads.

There is one more fix which I have used and that is to use a small O ring on the tube that Wayne spoke of as this is a common area that causes carb drip.

The other positive of the fuel valve is when you go to garage/store it you can shut off prior to ignition kill and drain the carb. Saves a lot of risks associated with aging or ethanol fuels sitting. Several years and counting without carb probs.