Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite T-10 starter seized...

DVTO2

On the pulley side there is a ball bearing and on the opposite side there is a bronze bushing. The two long bolts will allow you dissasemble it to five major pieces, pulley, barrel with coil attached, armature, drive frame with ball bearing installed and commutator end frame with bushing. I best guess is that ball bearing is siezing and lastly bushing has worn out allowing armature to sag and drag on pole shoe. Depending on where you live, an automotive electrical repair shop is your best bet to get it repaired depending if little or no damage has happened.

So I pulled this apart. The shaft rotates freely if the cover that does not have the pulley is removed. The bushing is very difficult to rotate around the shaft - are there ball bearings in there? It is not sagging but very tight against the shaft. I also see a small channel or groove on the inside of the cover where the bushing seats - are there supposed to be ball bearings in there as well? The brushes look fine.

Thanks,

Dave

If the bushing is stuck on the shaft you may have a problem.

The bushing should have stayed in the housing, If I was doing

it I would take a chisel and carefully grove the length of the

bushing in two or three spots it should loosen it so you can

get it off.

Then I would take the armature and back plate to a bearing shop

and have them mike everything . if the bushing was spinning

in the plate it may have worn the opening larger.

if the bushing shaft is buggered a little work with some emery

cloth will usually clean it up.

Good luck

quote:Originally posted by Willy

If the bushing is stuck on the shaft you may have a problem.The bushing should have stayed in the housing, If I was doingit I would take a chisel and carefully grove the length of thebushing in two or three spots it should loosen it so you canget it off.Then I would take the armature and back plate to a bearing shopand have them mike everything . if the bushing was spinning in the plate it may have worn the opening larger.if the bushing shaft is buggered a little work with some emerycloth will usually clean it up. Good luck

id="quote">
id="quote">Willy, I'm a bit confused. If the bushing is supposed to stay in the housing, what keeps it there? Also, what do you mean by having the bearing shop "mike" everything? What that a typo for "make"?

The bushing should be a snug or pressed fit in the cap and should spin on the shaft.

By "Mike" he means "mic" or measure with a micrometer to get you the proper sized bushing.

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

The bushing should be a snug or pressed fit in the cap and should spin on the shaft.By "Mike" he means "mic" or measure with a micrometer to get you the proper sized bushing.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks, Guys!

So I went to my local auto parts shop to ask where I might find a bearing shop and they said they had the part, and came out with a bushing that looked right. I asked how to get the seized bushing off and they sold me a small gear puller, all for $40. I wasn't sure I was going to get the bushing off before I stripped the threads on the gear puller, but it eventually began to move and came off. The shaft looked OK, and the new bushing tapped on with a rubber mallet, nice and snug, and 10 minutes later I everything put back together and the tractor running. Because this bushing had probably been failing for some time, the tractor started much quicker and easier than it had in a while.