Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Proper paint colors and decals

scottcooper

I'm planning on redoing my '85 7119H. Can anybody lead me in the right direction for paint colors? I'm looking at using basecoat/clearcoat vs. spray cans so I'm looking for a paint code other than the Simplicity colors for white and orange...Dupont, PPG...etc. Also, if anyone has any experience with clickitandstickit.com/Vintage Reproductions...how true are the decals to the originals?

Thanks

In rattle cans, I have used Allis Orange. Not exactly the same as the Simplicity orange, but it is close. I have heard others use Chevy Orange. For the off white I use Rustoleum Antique White. Others use a different white. Search the blogs and there are many, many discussions on this.

Everything I have heard about Click it and Stick it has been good.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the site!

I just painted our AC 912H , used Valspar acrillic enamel allis orange, 8oz med solids hardner per qt and as a reducer for the HVLP gun I use 45% lacquer thinner. For the L-1 walking tractor it was route 55 enamel, mixed with IH red in a 4 parts orange to 1 part red, 6oz per quart med solids hardner with 50% laquer thinner and for new Simplicity orange 4 part orange to 1.2 parts IH red with hardner comes very close to the newer machines like yours. I like enamels with med to high solids hardner for the lasting gloss, scratch resistance and general ease of touch up compared to a urathane/clearcoat which requires far more prep work to touch up/repair. Just my 2 cents on what we do, but I'm sorry as I do not known thepaint codes for this.

I used ace orange which was recomended by a bunch of other users. It is nice paint. But you have to make sure you get all of your cans with the same batch number on the bottom. I got screwed up and ended up with 2 different shades of orange. I guess that advice would probably be good for all brands of spray cans.