Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bowhunt4life

Allis B212 Variable

bowhunt4life

I am looking a picking up a B212 that is a variable drive. No mower deck but otherwise complete. I know nothing about operating a variable drive.

Couple questions:

1. Does it shift like a 3 speed?

2. How and when do you work the variable lever to adjust speeds?

Thanks,

Chris

B112_son

I know I have read others do not like the variable but mine works great. Everything adjusted properly no issues. Shift like a normal 3 speed but to increase ground speed push lever forward like you would a hydro. Variable lever has to be pulled all the way back in order to clutch and shift gears. Otherwise clutch will not stop the belt.

rokon2813

3 speed is the same, 3 forward 1 reverse. Do not move the variable unless the clutch is engaged (moving) the pulleys need to be spinning to slide correctly.

Otherwise, put in gear, let the clutch out, then you have 7 more speed ranges with the variable in each gear. Just move the handle while you are moving.

gwiseman

Adjustment is critical for variable speed tranny, check often because it'll work out of optimum adjustment. Had a B112 & now have a B210 & I like both when adjusted correct. Like Dan said above; they work like variable speeds on older ag equipment; has lots of moving parts.

Adjustable speed via moving pulleys in and out (sheaves). Look for slop and wear in holes where pulleys ride & slide in and out on 3 pins. Those holes will egg out with more and more use.

fishnwiz

It's interesting to me that the variable speed setup on the Simplicity is so much more complicated and complex then the vari on the old JD 110 round fenders which is very simple to use and not complex at all and works very good.!