Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower spring assist

rich_kildow

When looking at Steve-Wis thread about being ready for winter in Show & Tell, I notice he fab'd up a spring assist for it. My 7116 doesn't have one and I didn't have any problems with it last year, but it seems easy enough to do. Obviously its not required to work, but what does the spring assist give you, especially if you have hydro lift?

I'm assuming he has the spring because he has a manual lift, that way the spring takes off some of the weight when lifting. The spring won't help anything on a hydrolift.

quote:Originally posted by rich_kildow

When looking at Steve-Wis thread about being ready for winter in Show & Tell, I notice he fab'd up a spring assist for it. My 7116 doesn't have one and I didn't have any problems with it last year, but it seems easy enough to do. Obviously its not required to work, but what does the spring assist give you, especially if you have hydro lift?

id="quote">
id="quote">Nothing for a hydro lift but for Steve's machine, I believe the lift hanlde is short and the spring reduces the amount of human energy required to lift the blower.

It shouldn't matter if it is a manual lift or a hydro lift. They lift on the right side of the tractor, making the blower uneven when it is lifted.

the 3/4's used a spring assist on all blowers... on this pic the spring should be on the blower andthe window chain should be toward the tractor....you adjust the tension by inserting a clevis pin higheror lower on the window chain. putting a 3 inch piece of rod in the top end link gives you something to pull the chain with easily when selecting the link to place the clevis.

314Dpic.jpg

314Dpic.jpg.e6710ee6f36a694e7f3d20d49d962c50.jpg

Yes, I have manual lift, and I am getting older too. After a couple of hours of blowing snow here in town, with lots of back and forth and lots of lifting, the shoulder starts to ache. The spring about cuts in half the effort it takes to lift the blower, although it still does lift crooked (higher on the lift rod side). I thought the spring would help that, but it really didn't. I recommend a spring to anyone with manual lift. And, I would guess even with power lift of either hydroulic or electric design, it would reduce wear and tear on it.

quote:Originally posted by ardisam

It shouldn't matter if it is a manual lift or a hydro lift. They lift on the right side of the tractor, making the blower uneven when it is lifted.

id="quote">
id="quote">I believe Steve said it helped to even out the lift in his topic. With a manual lift it would reduce the Armstrong Effort. I have one for my 4212, but have yet to install it. I have the part # if anyone is interested.Cheers,Wayne

Just to clarify, the blower does seem to be a bit more level when raised but still does hang on the side that the lift rod is not on. A spring on the side with the rod wouldn't help the uneven condition, but it would make lifting even easier, I would think. Most of the weight is hanging on the lift rod even with my spring. I am thinking I may try to tighten it more and see what happens, but like I said, I like to have enough weight left so I don't have to worry about the blower riding up on harder snow. I will get a pic of the blower in raised condition this afternoon and post. If the pin holes for mounting were tighter it would hang straighter also, then are a bit worn from use.

Steve

Here are pics of how the blower hangs, it is about 1 1/4 inches higher on the lift rod side:

DSC01218.JPG

DSC01219.JPG

And here are the mounting brackets I made from angle iron:

DSC01220.JPG

DSC01221.JPG

DSC01222.JPG

The back bracket goes under the seat and bolts to the back two holes for the adjustable seat springs. I used to have the springs in these holes but moved them up two holes to make room for the bracket.Steve

DSC01218.JPG.8448ef74c64c1d160656efb7fd24dfb1.JPG

DSC01219.JPG.ce0d660e6282ef618498f28ddef8e75c.JPG

DSC01220.JPG.d0776e9ae630b83c98fb2b2f9e254b8a.JPG

DSC01221.JPG.ef7622e4bac8779f0337db1c85008295.JPG

DSC01222.JPG.2da652095b5c09e851e59277d78b3443.JPG

Steve, not sure on yours but my sovereign did the same thing. I welded the hitch shut some and ground it to a tight fit. No more hanging...

I have put a matching lift lever on the other side of tractor

So it lifted evenly

Exact duplicate of other side

Lift rod , blower lift bracket

Used manual lift jack shaft so I had extensions out both sides

Also made lift arms longer so it would raise blower higher

Had to watch where your toes where

As levers would hit boots