Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

jsarro

To keep or not keep walk behind snow blower?

jsarro

I have a FEL on a tratcor. I am going to also get a rear grader blade for the 3pt hitch.

I also have a snowblower and cab for the 3112V.

I also have front 42" and 46" snowplows.

Here is my question:

Is there likely any need for me to keep my 26" walk behind Troybilt snow blower? Am I likely to need it or use it?

I have not gone through a winter yet with all this equipment set up, so I am trying to decide in advance if it is wise to sell the Troybilt on CL. Right now is the ideal season to sell it.

Thanks

SmilinSam

Unless you have more than one tractor I'd keep the walker for backup.

One year I shelled out the gearbox in a 2 stager on a wheel horse tractor, and if I hadnt happened to have a 42" blower to throw onto a Simplicity tractor I happen to have at the time, I would have been in it real deep if -n- you know what I mean;)

This year I got two tractor/blower/cab combos and 2 tractor/blade combos to field on my 600' lane. Always gots to have backups.

huffy

I use a walk behind blower for walkways and other areas where the tractor won't fit or I otherwise don't want to take the tractor. But, if you don't need it for such things, then it sounds like you've got plenty of tractors/implements that you don't need a walk behind as a backup.

jsarro

Thanks for all the feedback. dOd

You all have helped me decide to not sell off the walk the behind so fast.

I can see where it may be necessary for walkways, etc.

The last thing I want to do is shovel a foot of snow off a long walkway, after plowing or blowing the driveway with a tractor.

If in a few years it has sat still with no use, and If I have multiple back ups, then maybe I would reconsider letting it go.

timflury

I've had this MTD single stage paddle type snowblower for like nine years now.

I pound the beejeezus out of the thing yet I properly maintain it and repair it as needed. If I'm not around and the driveway needs clearing, the wife can use it. As long as this thing starts on the first pull, I see no reason to get rid of it. It's also still on the original spark plug.....and the electric starter has yet to be used.

jsarro

Tim thanks for the story.

I guess the moral of this post is having back up is a good thing.

My Troybilt has given me zero issues like yours, always starts easy on the first pull, never need electric start also. It requires very little maintenance.

I drain the gas each year, and change the oil every couple years. Original spark plug past 7 yrs.