Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
littlemarv

Vac collecter hose

littlemarv

I picked up this vac unit the other day for $10. Just the blower, no cart or hoses. I assume its for a Simplicity, as it looks to be for a left hand discharge. The 400 series were right hand discharge, but thats irrelevant as I don't have a mower deck for my 416 anyways.At any rate, looks like it can be made to work pretty easily.Note my little helper- I don't do much without him lately. Sometimes though, its too dangerous and he gets pretty upset when I don't let him help. Way too many belts and fans for his little fingers to be around on this one, so he knows he can only help when the tractor is off.

vac 002.jpg

vac 003.jpg

I (we) heated up all the pivots, gave em a little PB Blaster, and greased the one fitting I found on the lower shaft. Everything seems to work.Put a 72" belt on it and flipped the spring on the tensioner up so the flat idler pulls up on the slack side of the belt,looks good.My neighbors must get a chuckle out of me standing in my front yard gathering up leaves and shoving them into the vac only to have them shredded and blown 15' into the air. Oh well.So, it looks like this project is a go. I plan on making a bracket that sticks out to the left, and hangs just above the ground for the pickup head, I guess I would call it. Any suggestions for a nozzle? I need to find a balance between width and suction. I was looking in the heating section at Fleet, they only have 12" duct which would work, but be a narrow swath.I have an old lawn cart and some plywood and chicken wire, so the cart can be made pretty easy.Where can I get some 6" hose for this project?Is there only one zerk on these? Seems there should be a way to lube the shaft with the fan on it.Thanks in advance.

57e058d51102a_vac002.jpg.2dfcb21d8014633dd7ccf4b39d271992.jpg

57e058d51de4c_vac003.jpg.a427df65d204cf6a9dc1b4340027511b.jpg

rich_kildow

I might have misunderstood, but are you trying to run it with no deck so that it picks up from some sort of wide (24" or more) head that moves along with the tractor? Or are you trying to make a hose that you would move around by hand to pick up piles or clean up landscaping?

If the first one is your goal, I'm not sure how well that is going to work without the lift and shredding from the deck. Trying to pick up a swatch of leaves wider than the tubing itself without that boost may be a tall order.

If the second goal is what you're after, they did make roving nozzles for some of these vac's. I'd look into the black corrugated drain pipe that you might stick on the end of a gutter or build a weeping tile system out of. They do make stuff that is clear and smooth on the inside, but it is spendy.

Willy

I missed the part about not having a deck, for it to work like it's

supposed to you need a deck. The blades act as a vac, and chop

leaves, I think you will have problems with it plugging up.

Mine will plug if I get into real heave leaves unless I go

real slow.

If you can find some 7 in round duct should work from the deck

to the Vac.

The 6in from the deck to the cart is the expensive part, I lucked

out, when I went to pick up some bearing, I got to talking with

the salesman and they stocked a very heavy plastic tubing for

Bertch Cabinet Co. for there dust and chip collectors I talked

him out of a 5ft.section. That was about 5 year ago and it is

still in good shape.

I think it cost about $9.00 a foot. (not cheep but good stuff.

When you buy hose make sure it's smooth on the inside.

rickpilgrim

The one we bought from simplicity dealer for 48" sovereign used had a plastic deck boot, 8" hose and elbow to the fan and a heavy duty 6" hose to the cart. Using commercially the plastic boot broke so I made a copy with 1/8" aluminum sheeting and some pop rivet's put in from the inside out. From what your pic shows you are missing the belt guard (cover)and the inlet side plastic elbow that that makes it a straight shot to the deck. My lower 8" tube was a sheet of plastic rolled into a tube with a lot of 10-32 bolts. That should be available from simplicity dealer yet as should the boot and rear hose to the cart. If you want to build your own cart.......

The first system I had was a 5hp Briggs engine unit, I bought a farm and fleet dump cart, and added a 1/2" plywood upper to it with a open right rear door, hose stuck in the front center with a 6' stove pipe metal adapter and duct tape 2 oval holes in top rear with chicken wire. First thing use chicken wire as a backing for window screen to cut down the raining dust storm behind you. Better yet build an enclosed 2-3" duct over the top of your vent holes cut in the front top of your cart so the air goes out the back and a 1" angle flap to direct the air down is good also to cut down the dust storm. With the holes in the front your cart will fill very evenly and fully.

The important part is put a metal flap in about 1' behind the hose to turn the air down and also add a sheet of 16ga steel to your back door, I did not do the flap or the steel in mine, in heavy leaves along a landscape bed I picked up some river rock and 3 of them went through the back of the cart with enough force to break a house window 30' or so away.

You have the start of a good back saving machine, hope this helps

Gordan

Do you need the tiller idler pulleys for this type of collector? The two-paddle Peco type, which I have, comes with its own idler and the belt clears the filter just fine.

Also... these came with a roving nozzle as an accessory, so the deck is not a requirement, but yeah, I imagine that clogging would be more of an issue with unchopped leaves than with chopped. Especially if you pick up a twig.

drbrian722

I was in a similar situation and found that the 6" and 7" hoses are available in their modern versions for extreme dollar amounts. I ended up reversing my plans and used 6" stove pipe to bend the output down to a nozzle so it's a riding leaf blower. I still intend to work out a roving nozzle, but this will do until then.

attachment.php?attachmentid=481882&d=1380908761

GLPointon

I bought new hose for my Agri-Fab vac from my Simplicity dealer and it was $10 per foot. But its smooth inside and corrugated outside so twigs/etc dont catch on the inside...

Good find, well worth the price dOd

ps...It did have a belt gaurd too