Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

build landscape power rake for Soveriegn?

rickpilgrim

I know I have a few winter projects going on but this one is more of a priority. This yr we renovated 18 lawns for customers, none more than 40'x 100' and had to pay $385 for power raking the smallest and $685 for the 40x100. This is missed cash so......

Why not build a unit for our 20hp 912AC which has hydraulic lift added to it, fluid filled 23x10.50x12 tires and 50lb wheel weights.

Use/make a rototiller hitch, some heavy angle iron to make 2 vertical uprights and cross braces, an arm off that to mount the hydraulic pump and 2 plates off the back side of it and a piece of DOM tube set vertical for the angle pivot. A 4' piece of 6" square tube and 2 6" channel iron for down pieces to mount the roller to. Use the 6" tube for the hydraulic tank, hydro 250 rpm motor with #60 roller chain to drive the lower roller which would be a 6" tube, box the chain drive channel in for protection, have a cylinder for angle and 2 caster wheels off the main tube on a pivot to raise/lower with a stop block and a second cylinder. run it with an 12v electric block valve. Shooting for the 44 to 46" effective width for this.

I have most everything hydraulic wise for this from a MB broom from a Toro GM that got hit by a car, and an all hydraulic golf course reel mower I bought for $50 some yrs back and parted out. I have the #60 roller chain, sprockets and all the welders/torches/chop saws, pipe taps/drill press and 60 top shop press for this. Very little farm out work needed.

Can anyone think of a reason this shouldn't work, our do I need bigger machine for this kind of work?

I'm not sure I follow your design...this is to be a rear mounted, hydro angle broom? And what is it's purpose? Are you working in bare topsoil or established turf? Maybe if I was clearer on the power raking you had to farm out, I'd better understand the project. I'm picturing either a Revitalizer type activity on turf for detatching and overseeding, or a new lawn, from scratch where rocks and debris need removed and soil needs groomed for seed/hydroseed. I would think you have plenty of ponies for running the pump. I'm not sure I'd want the resevoir on the implement though...you're looking at about 50# of fluid for a 6x6x44. I'd put that weight on the tractor to aid as counter weight.

Power rake is a rear mounted horizontal roller with about 60 1.25" teeth on it and it rotates opposite or counterclockwise f when viewed from the right end. It's kind of like a reverse rotating rototiller that's works just the top 1-2", brakes up the sod, carries the rock to the end or rolls it to the side depending on the angle. I like the weight on it as you can carry a fair amount of dirt etc. think Harley power rake, plenty on you tube to see, mostly on skid steers and 3pt tractors, by the time you buy a 540 rpm pto tractor and 7-10 k power rake it' would be 20K plus in dollars and need to do a lot more than 18 lawns to pay for that.