Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Chris727

Best paint for loader subframe?

Chris727

I have my loader subframe sprayed with 1 coat of rustoleum rust reformer and followed up by 1 coat of rustoleum automotive primer. I'm wondering if its worth using the rustoleum appliance epoxy or if I should just use some regular semi-gloss black rustoleum paint? I would like something durable. I have used lots of painter's touch and duplicolor but they seem to chip too easily.

Thanks for any info:)

Talntedmrgreen

I've never used the painter's touch or duplicolor, but like the black 'performance' enamel from Rustoleum. I have found air conditions affect it's durability greatly though. If you're in a hurry to get a coat on, and it's a humid, rainy day, you will have a 'soft' finish. On a dry, warm day, the stuff dries fast and is fairly durable. Any black on anything I've shown here, has that paint on it. If I were to use a gun, I'd get the Deere black that Ray uses in bulk.

Chris727

Funny you mention the Deere enamel. I was thinking of painting the hood of my truck with some JD blacksm00 I looked on the shelf at work the other day and it looks like we don't regularly stock the gloss:(

GrincheyOne

Chris,

I have found the Rustolium Gloss Black engine enamel (rattle can) is reasonably durable. Given spray environment conditions. above 55* F, and below 80% RH. Their Clear Coat is pretty good also. Remember the prep is the most important step.

I Only used the Appliance Epoxy spray twice: once on a sliding screen door frame with excellent results (In the summer time, drying in the sun), and as an undercoat on a LL gas tank, an overcoat of red-orange engine gloss enamel, resulted in a "pigskin" finish.

Cheers,

Wayne

GrincheyOne

POSTSCRIPT:

i have found the slip on trigger handle, helps in controlling the spray.

This is an example of the engine black gloss directly over a generous coat of Reformer, No clearcoat! see near the bottom of this page

[urlhttp://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120645&whichpage=4][/url]

Have fun, and wear your respirator!

Wayne

Chris727

Thanks for the suggestions. The warm weather is what I'm running out of. The metal had been sandblasted prior to applying rust reformer. I have not prepped the side rails yet. I may just sand them, They still have the "pickle" finish as they were made from new steel. From the factory Simplicity originally painted over the pickle finish. I'm not sure if I should sand or blast it off.

Chris727

Yes Ray, I do. I just looked it up.

TY25638 Med. Gloss spray can MSRP $8.39

I believe the JD/Valspar paint is compatible to the rustoleum primer I have used. Not a big enough project or good enough weather to get out the spray gun.