Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SS plow hydraulics

huffy

I'm contemplating adding the hydraulic angle adjustment to my plow blade. I've got a few questions:

1. Is there a manual that specifically discusses adding the auxiliary lever and lines? I did not find one in my search.

2. From my review of the parts diagrams, the part # for the plow angle cylinder doesn't seem to match the part #'s for either the regular lift cylinder or the power steering cylinder. Can I use a power steering or lift cylinder (which are readily available on eBay), or is there something special (length, etc) about the cylinders that came in the angle adjustment package?

3. Am I correct in understanding that I don't need to add another control valve, just another lever? From what I can gather from looking at the diagrams in the attachment and accessories manual, it looks like it's just a matter of adding the cylinder, another lever, and running the hoses. Am I understanding correctly?

Thanks

I typed up some big long answer and lost it :(!

I thought there was a different valve needed for the aux hydro on the SS's. When I've seen them on ebay, it's the lever, lines and a dual spool valve. I'm interested to hear your responses.

I would imagine you could find a surplus cylinder to do the job, without spending crazy money on the P/N. Someone probably has one that they can measure to get you close.

If I'm not mistaken, the auxiliary kit I sold to another member was for a SS.

It included a new 2 spool valve.

It also included the instructions, so maybe he will see this and could answer some questions.

In the mean time, look here for pictures.

http://www.superxpower.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=SMP#/Simplicity/1691195_-_Hydraulic_Implement_Lift_Kit/Hydraulic_Implement_Lift_Kit_%28983296%29/8912/19563

Thanks, Dan. With the info you provided I was able to find the instruction sheets:

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/jgEBGP_etH5tG5EPa7mRgtLvBCd6.pdf

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/jgEBGP_dxN2tG5EPa7mRgtLvBCd6.pdf

It looks like I would, in fact, need a different control valve. Jacks wants $450 for them. But, it looks to me to be the same double valve from the old Powermax's, so I think this one would work and it's only $70:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allis-Chalmers-620-Power-Max-Tractor-Hydraulic-Control-Valve-/190940848411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c74f6211b

There's a few lift lever assemblies on ebay for about $20. I think I could just rob the arm off of one. The bushing and control link should be easy to find/make.

Lines should be easy to have made. Though, from looking at the diagrams on the instruction sheet it looks like I could make those out of standard brake lines from the auto parts store???

Then I'd just be down to having to find a cylinder the right size.

Chris, I looked up the P/N of my hydraulic angle cylinder (1677214SM) on the Legacy dozer, and then googled it and came up with the SS dozer. They share the same parts, as I suspected. My cylinder is 1", and is 11" compressed, and 18" extended. Go get um...

00w0w_k693qaaMacO_600x450.jpg

Thanks, Josh. I would think that the SS lift cylinder is close to that size. I'll have to pull the side plate off mine tomorrow and measure.

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I typed up some big long answer and lost it :(!

id="quote">
id="quote">right click , select all and copy it before you post. happened one too many times to me also . wont lose another one sm01

According to Jack's, the 1677214SM cylinder is NLA. I guess I'll have to find one somewhere else. Josh, are the 11" and 18" measurements from center of pin to center of pin, or back of cylinder to tip of rod? Thanks.

Chris I have several Cylinders of diff sizes including a SS lift cyl...let me know if interested sm01

overall dimensions are pin to pin [mount to mount]

extended - retracted = Stroke

quote:overall dimensions are pin to pin [mount to mount]

extended - retracted = Stroke

id="quote">
id="quote">

I know that's how they're normally measured. But Josh said he measured 11" closed and 18" open, which would be 7" stroke. John said the cylinder he used had an 8" stroke. So, I was just double checking.

Of course, after I asked for the measurements I remembered that my hitch and plow already have the brackets for a cylinder. So, all I've got to do is rotate the blade to the farthest notch on the right and take a measurement, then to the farthest notch on the left and take a measurement, and I'll know the length the cylinder needs to be closed and open, and the stroke I need. I prolly shoulda thought of that before, but I'm scatter brained sometimes.

Well, I measured over the weekend. A standard lift cylinder won't work. Couldn't find a suitable-sized cylinder at TSC, either. Gonna try a local hydraulics place sometime this week, if I can find the time to make it over there.