Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
1meanZ

new member with '75 Homelite T-16H

1meanZ

Hey guys, been harvesting lots of info here so thought I'd post here and contribute a little.

I recently found an abandoned T16 in my neighbor lady's barn. I'm in the process of restoring it. It needs a BGB, transaxle makes scary noises, hydro works perfectly and is quiet, engine ran perfectly until it recently blew a head gasket, it appears the head bolts were loose from a recent top-end service. I'm assembling an extra transaxle and BGB for it now, then I'll blow the tractor apart, repaint everything and reassemble it with my new rebuilt parts. It seems like the Homelite tractors aren't very common, so this may be a bit of a fresh face around here. Pics on their way!

1meanZ

I'm northwest of town near Elbel Golf Course. Where you at?

Here she is the day I limped her out of the barn

image_zpsae6d7d03.jpg

Here are a few pix in my cluttered garage. Once the hotrods get put away(camaro is mine, 'vette belongs to a customer, Trans Am is not pictured LOL) in a week or so I'll have more room to really get down to business with this 'ol girl. I've never restored an old tractor before, so this will be a fun winter project I think. Currently I'm re-packing the diff in the donor transaxle I have, and I've got parts ordered to rebuild the BGB. Hydro is strong and the 16hp ran stout until it shoved the head gasket out for some reason, I suspect loose bolts from a recent top end rebuild according to the neighbor lady. Starter-generator was fried, I have a good used SG and regulator to install. The deck seems in OK shape, that will be a spring project. It outruns and outclimbs my neighbors mid 70's 12hp Wheel Horse so thats a plus! haha.

image_zps8fee0841.jpg

image_zps76ea48b9.jpg

image_zps443ae857.jpg

image_zps2835d877.jpg

image_zpsae36d443.jpg

What is the general consensus on these Homelite tractors? Are they actually rare? Will it be complete sacrilege if I paint and sticker it up as a System 7016? Right now I'm on the fence about paint scheme and welcome any input you guys may have.

Willy

Hi welcome to the zoo.

It looks like a fairly easy redo, everything looks straight.

I like to keep my redo's as close to original as possible, but

hey it's your tractor to do with as you like.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

JimDk

Welcome to the group. You have a nice complete tractor to restore.

As the owner of one Homelite among a fleet of A/C's and Simplicities, I vote to keep it blue. While not super rare, there are a lot less Homelites than Simplicities.

Tacey

Nice tractor!

I'd keep it factory colors. The hood is different on the simplicity.

Do you plan on using/working the tractor? I have a simp 3410 which I use to mow and plow snow. Landlords are cool.

Good luck with your project!!

1meanZ

I'm leaning towards original colors and having Vintage Graphics re-pop the decals for me. Might have to put an "I eat Wheel Horse" decal across the rear of the fender pan, I know my neighbor will get a kick out of that since he's a WH guy and we like to run our tractors together.

I'm not sure what the original blue paint code is, I'll likely use Ford Tractor Blue. I'd like to stay with a readily available implement enamel that will be easy to touch up.

I do plan on working the tractor. I maintain some property for my neighbor and this will be the perfect tractor to keep the trails mowed down with so I'm not beating up my zero turn. It will also do duty pulling my yard cart around transporting varmint traps, and other general hauling duties. My 2yr old daughter loves to go for rides as well. Eventually I'd like to get a tiller for it as we increase the size of our garden. I already have a good walk-behind snow blower, but I may end up with one of those at some point as well.

I had a small 8hp early 70s Wheel Horse that I had gotten in exchange for working on a truck. It had a bad engine so I repowered it and ended up using the heck out of it, way more than I ever thought I would. I was then offered an obsurd amount of money for it so I sold it and have been tractorless for a few months. When I found this beast in the neighbor lady's barn, I got kinda excited.

goatfarmer

We're not far, I'm closer to Lydick, by the South Bend Country Club.

My 2110 blew a headgasket a few years ago. It still ran OK, but made this weird chugging noise.

JimDk

Here is my A/C built Homelite T-10 in Ford blue. I used Valspar rattle can paint, and would not do it again. It does keep the rust at bay, but is not very durable. The blue on the hood decals is closer to the correct color. The hood is Duplicolor Wimbledon white.

FinishedRSrs.jpg

FinishedRSrs.jpg.2a37db2dae5bcc8315d362f8b508fbae.jpg

1meanZ

Thanks for the pic, nice looking tractor you've got there. I was planning to sandblast, etching prime, heavy build prime, block sand, and then spray the chassis and parts with Nason or a similar single stage paint with a good hardener. This should be durable, smooth, and fixable if it gets damaged. I was going to work with Vintage Graphics and have them just make the stickers the same color blue and white that I use. That way it will all match.

JimDk

That sounds like a good plan. The hardener will make it a good, durable job.

I did not have an option on decals. My older style tractor has raised letter "Homelite" on the hood. I commandeered my wife to hand paint the letters. She found the correct blue in a craft shop.

Our "Homie" lives an easy life. It goes to a tractor show, or two, and hauls our great grandson around. Lawn cart duty only.

Enjoy your project and post some progress pictures.

1meanZ

At this point you guys have convinced me to stay original. I'll be doing Ford tractor blue and white and I'll have the custom decals made to put it back how it is.

I should probably start documenting my progress over on the show and tell forum. Tonight I finished re-keying and re-greasing the trans-axle and differential. The keys between the main output tube of the trans axle and the cast drive hub that bolts to the differential had started to wear. The output tube and hub are OK, thankfully the keys were taking the beating. I made new keys out of some key stock, then I used Loctite 680 (sleeve and bearing retention) to glue the output tube to the drive hub. This should be extra strong and hopefully help the keys and output tube survive the next 40 yrs in better shape than the first 40yrs left them. If I ever have to take the hub off, a little heat and I'll be in business. I then repacked and reassembled everything, all the other keys and shafts were in great shape. There is no excessive slop in this transaxle, it's as tight as new I'd say which is a good thing because the transaxle in the tractor makes alarming noises and is mega sloppy. You can turn the brake drum that sticks out the side of the trans case nearly 1/4 turn before the tractor moves. I drained the fluid and it looked good and the hydrostat worked perfectly so hopefully the filter caught all the debris form whatever is growling inside the trans.

My donor bevel gear box had tons of backlash in it because the input shaft and drive gear decided to start moving around and hogging out the key slot on the input shaft. The cone clutch had also egg-shaped the driven shaft on the end, so a full rebuild of the BGB is in order with all new parts. The parts should be here next week. The BGB in the tractor has tons of backlash and a sloppy input shaft too. The cone clutch on the tractor is in great shape so I'll be re-using that on the new BGB.

I'm staying busy with this mechanical stuff and cleaning odds and ends for another week until I can get the cars in their winter resting places. Then it will be time to blow the tractor completely apart and get serious.

RayS

Let me know if the decals from Corey match the paint color you have choosen. I was going to restore mine but would have had the paint mixed to match his decals since he only has one color of blue for the decals. I went through this with him three years ago and decided to not restore until I new the decals would match the paint. I believe Ford tractor blue is darker than the Homelite paint that is closer to the OSHA safety blue. Will be interesting to find out. That way I can get mine done next year, but I am going with hydraulic lift verses the other options that were available.

1meanZ

Not sure about other years, but this Simplicity built Homelite is a lighter blue then either the Ford blue or the OSHA safety blue. It's almost a pastel powder blue that frankly, I don't care for. If you look above at the original pictures, you'll see that the fender pan was re-sprayed with Ford blue at some point in it's life. The rest of the visible blue is weathered and is actually darker than the virgin areas for some bizarre reason. On the underside of the chassis, or inside protected areas where the original paint is still visible, it's what I'd call sky blue.

That being said, while I am interested in keeping this tractor mostly original, I'm planning to go with Ford Tractor blue and gloss white. I have not contacted Corey yet, but I'm assuming that is the blue he has. So while it's not 100% correct, it's a shade of blue that I like much better, and it's readily available, which makes this a win for me.

PeppyDan

Looks like you have a nice one to restore and use! Here are a couple of links to the Homelite T-13 I restored a several years ago. I love the color and get a lot of good comments about the color a shows!

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=28817&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Homelite

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=11537&SearchTerms=Homelite

Dan