Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Choke Adjustment

bowhunt4life

On the B212 I brought home I have to run the choke about half way out to keep the engine running at full RPM.

If I push the choke in all the way it dies. Same if I pull the choke out all the way.

What should I or do I need to adjust on the choke cable or carb?

Thanks

What I've run into, when the engine wants choke when at normal operating temp, is that there is an air leak some place. It's leaning out the fuel mixture somehow, and by cutting off air from the breather, you richen it back up so that it will run correctly. See if there could be any air leaks in the gasket on the upper carb, or better yet, between the manifold and intake.

See if you've got a bowl of sludge on your carb. If the main jet is restricted, it wont pull the fuel up unless you restrict the air.

One of my tractors wouldn't run without half choke, cleaned out the bowl, haven't touched the choke since.

Chris,

To check for air leaks you need to spray around the carb while the engine is running; places where it connects to the block or can be separated into parts.

You can use Wd-40, carb cleaner, and the like. If while spraying the engine speeds up you have found where the leak is.

Rick........

Does not appear to be an air leak.

I did not open up and look for sludge.

I did adjust the main jet 1/2 turn out and it seemed to be running fine at full throttle.

As I adjusted from low idle to full throttle she would spit and backfire.

Any suggestions now?

Start by pulling the carb and cleaning it. If you want a lazy way just put seafoam in it and hope like heck!:D Its best to pull it and clean it so you know where you are starting from. If after reassembly and adjustment then I would definitely look at the throttle hole as others suggested. Its very common. Heck, at 40 I have a little wear and leak air!:D