Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JONNYCASH

paint codes

rickpilgrim

Welcome to the club!

I dont know any paint codes but on our pre 1971 simplicity's I mix 4 parts Allis Chalmers orange(not Persian orange) with 1 part IH red and that's really close if not indistinguishable from oe paint. I like valspar enamel but route 55 works also. My exact mix is 32 oz orange, 8 oz red, 4-6 oz med solid hardner and reduced 45-50% with laquer thinner. Solids variance is by gun type , thinner goes by tempature.

In rattle can land chevy orange is pretty close but others know more about the rattle can paint than I do.

JONNYCASH

Thanks I do a lot of auto painting so that's why I was looking for a paint code, so I could go to my paint store and have some mixed up. If all else fails, I will take an un faded part in and they should be able to match.

rickpilgrim

I never bothered having a store match the panel for paint. It is and was a matter of my wife's old 1 qt Pyrex measuring cup and for old simplicity 16oz AC orange, 4oz IH red. 2-3oz med solids enamel hardener, dump that into the 2qt mix can and add 22 oz laquer thinner, mix and spray. Newer machines like yours I run the same mix except I use just shy of 5 oz red. I use common farm and fleet store Valspar or Route 55 enamel as they both mix well, are super easy to work with and patch/touch up and will cover over any old paint no matter what 2,3 or4 part it is.

With med solids hardner I get a good 5-7 yr paint job before noticeable fading and my machines are outside almost 7day/ 4week/12 mo all the time so I will not complain about the $40 I spend doing this type of job

RayS
quote:Originally posted by JONNYCASH

does anybody have paint codes for older simplicity around 1965 year?

id="quote">
id="quote">Check tech tip forum on paint. Lot of info there. Paint is probably the most asked question and there is probably a thousand or so post archived on the paint subject.

rickpilgrim

Laquer thinner is one of the hotter of paint reducers and when your painting in north central wi in 50-70 degree weather without the sun it can help you achieve a no run/drip/sag or wrinkled paint job do to its rapid evaporation. The gloss is slightly enhanced but you should mix in 2-4 oz med-high solids hardner per qt to restore the hardness/flowability that is lost due to not using a slow drying enamal reducer.

NEVER exceed the 50% thinning when doing overspraying of old paint and always lay it out in light/med passes and multiple coats with a few minutes between them. The laquer thinner will etch into the old finish, to heavy of pass will cause problems.

The new style HVLP guns with the top cup are more efficient at transferring paint so 45% thinning does well with them while my old Binks 2001 cup below likes around 50% or so.

I've painted 3 trailers, 4 trucks and numerous pieces of yard care machines like this and nave never had a problem or need to scrape it off. Worst problem was a bit of orange peel on the Ford( to heavy of thinner on 85 degree day) and that color sanded out. Learned this from an old body shop gentleman, wish I had learned how to lay out lead body filler but that's another day.

RayS

Interesting on the lacquer thinner. I always thin the paint according to the instruction on the can (10%). I have paint three tractors. I will have to give the lacquer thinner a try since it is about $6 a gallon cheaper than xylene and MEK. I actually like the MEK. Probably will have a 314 John Deere to do in the spring or may just part it out.