Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tractor date authentification

hybridv8

Hi,I am not sure if this is the right area to post this so please feel free to correct me if I am in the wrong place,I have two simplicity tractors a 7116 no: 1690475-001212 and a 3410 no: 990755-03069,I am trying to register them with the dvla in England but they want me to prove their manufacturing dates,is there a site or a link that would send me a certificate of manufacturing date like a heretige certificate you can get for a car,they are being very pigheaded about it so any help would be very gratefully received.

The tractor S/N's are next to impossible to get a manufacturing date.

However if the engines are original, we could probably zero it in to 45 days give or take. Your 3410, 990755, has a Briggs and Stratton engine model 243431, type 0627-01, S/N XXXXXXXX and their model years 1972, 1973 & 1974. The serial number can be a 6-8 digits long, starting with year, month, day and line number, I.E. 7208311.

Something similar will be on the blower housing carburetor side about even with cranshaft center line. If indeed that engine was buit on August 08, 1972 you tractor could be an early 1973 production year unit. 1690475 was 1979 and 1980 prouction year machine. The engine data location was moved to the top of the blower housing , I beleive, and is M/N 326437, Type number 0315-01 and S/N XXXXXXX. The tractors were built about 45 days after the engine S/N date.

What is the "dvla", in England? The Department of Valueless Legislators in Action? We have that here in the U.S. of A. In fact, I think it's a mandatory requirement to be a member, if you want to run for office.....

Unfortunately I cant find a s/n on the 3410 engine cowling,the 7116 is there and dates the engine to 19th dec 1979 and I listed all this information on the forms I had to submit but the dvla (Driver and Vehicle Licencing Authority) but they are saying its not enough.

:) Phil; I would suggest that you open the link Perry posted. Look up your manufacturing number and then print the page; or perhaps the whole section pertaining to " when was my tractor made " and try to get it seen by someone a little higher up than the desk clerks who are giving you a hard time. Also a letter from a UK Simplicity dealer might help. Hope you are successful and can drive your machines to your allotment....Dave

Also I believe your heritage certificate is similar to our vehicle titles, and for titles in the US, it generally applies to licensed vehicles of which garden tractors have never been titled that I can recall. If you bought it from another British citizen, doesn't that person have the paper work?

Does the liscence requirement only apply if operating them on a road? What would happen if you had a peice of equipment from a defunct company and no documentation was available? Do they impound the item?

The licencing of a vehicle is only required if the vehicle is driven on a public highway for any distance even as in my case about half a mile to my allotment,I am beginning to think it may not be worth it.But I will telephone them tomorrow and try to speak to someone that may give a damn as they have closed all our local offices so the main office clerks are probably a bit snowed under,but thanks for the advice anyway.

quote:Originally posted by hybridv8

The licencing of a vehicle is only required if the vehicle is driven on a public highway for any distance

id="quote">
id="quote">yes i have herd the wheel horse UK guys talking about driving on the roads and license is required. are there different model simplicity's only offered in the UK . i know there is one or two wheel horse tractor models they only sold over the pond. would be neat to find out if there were other simplicity models as well .

Originally posted by perry
quote:
id="quote">Perry, somewhere I remember seeing something that said (export) so I went looking.Can't find it in my records though I know it's there, but if you look here, http://www.superxpower.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=SMP#/s/SMP/export//1There are over 800 model numbers that say export. Not sure if they were exclusively exported or not.