Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hydro fluid change

davidmoll

Changing the hydro fluid on my 6516H for the first time. The manual specifies SAE 30 non-detergent oil. Someone told me they used transmission fluid instead. Nervous about doing that. Also some tips I read is to fill the new filter with oil before mounting it to eliminate potential trapped air. Any words of wisdom out there?

Thanks Dave

I believe I used a gm product that was synthetic, better warmup to get snowthrowing and hydro stayed cooler. Some guys use cheap ol type f

I going to go with the SAE 30 fluid. do I have to worry about air getting trapped in the filter after replaceing and refilling?

quote:Originally posted by davidmoll

I going to go with the SAE 30 fluid. do I have to worry about air getting trapped in the filter after replaceing and refilling?

id="quote">
id="quote">I've never woried about it on tractors or cars! It will soon work its way out especially if filter is mounted threads up or sideways.

If you use it in winter there will be a huge difference. Summer the hydro runs cooler too. They all will work fine. Its in what you want out of it. Its not a big deal to let it run 30 seconds longer but better flow initially would make me believe less wear. Granted, we are dealing with 20 or 30 year old machines.:D