Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116 WOT?

rich_kildow

Is the WOT throttle setting for a 7116 3600 rpm? I know idle is 1200RPM based on the engine owners manual, but the only thing I can find in the operators manual is the max ground speed @ 3600.

If you want an actual 3600 full speed, you will need to bump up no load speed to about 3780 RPM . Under woking conditions the governor will never get to 3780 RPM.

I've been running it at about 3000 because that was where I ran out of throttle level adjustment, but now know you can adjust the clamp position to fix that. Is 3600 the recommended speed at load? I just don't want to hurt anything.

You won't hurt anything. But if you want to play it safe, set your no load at 3600 RPM and that will get about 3420 RPM full load. It's a funtion of the govenor spring and no one can do better unless you got bux. That's what the horse power curves show, rated power at 3600 RPM. You might lose a 1/2 to 1 HP , but I doubt if you would even notice it, unless you are a real HP freak. If it cuts your grass and blows the snow, that's youe main concern.dOd

quote:Originally posted by BLT

You won't hurt anything. But if you want to play it safe, set your no load at 3600 RPM and that will get about 3420 RPM full load. It's a funtion of the govenor spring and no one can do better unless you got bux. That's what the horse power curves show, rated power at 3600 RPM. You might lose a 1/2 to 1 HP , but I doubt if you would even notice it, unless you are a real HP freak. If it cuts your grass and blows the snow, that's youe main concern.dOd

id="quote">
id="quote">FWIW - with the Kohler singles, no load is typically 3600 and peak torque is around 3200ish rpms. I believe this is by design such at when you hit a tall patch of grass, or load up the snow thrower, as an example, your RPMs fall into the peak torque when you need it the most.I would assume the Briggs singles would be he same?

Torque has nothing to do with mowing grass or blowing snow. It's all horsepower. When mowing or blowing you're attempting maintain top engine speed to keep fron plugging either up. If you rely on peak torque like in the case of a 16HP Briggs engine, peak torque is 2400RPM, and by that time a 33% loss in RPM which will allow either the deck or blower spout to start plugging up. I would imagine that a like Kohler will react the same.

Peak torque on a 16hp K341 Kohler is 2600 rpm, but the torque curve is pretty flat from 2200 to 2800.

During a tractor pull with the stock engine governor set at 4,000 rpm:

When you start putting a load on the Kohler the rpms drop quickly to 3200 rpms, hang there to around 1800-2oo0, and then engine dies quickly at that point.

While the Briggs drops to 2800 rpms, but will hang in below 1500.

So the Kohlers preform better with a faster pull and can maintain momentum longer (sled weight comes in late and quick), while the Briggs do better with a slow power pull where the weigh comes in quick.