Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
simplewrench

725 repairs

simplewrench

Well I bought a coil off ebay for my 725. It was running but would die after about 20 minutes. It sat on the bench for about 2 months maybe more as other projects took precedence. Well this job finally hit the front burner last Thursday. Got the engine out checked a youtube video to make sure I knew what I was doing (never worked on a model 19 before). Got the coil change bolted the engine back in, unbolted the engine and put the belt on for the starter generator, decided to put a better longer belt on (the one on the tractor was 36.5"X1/2") I didn't have a better one on hand. Next we went to the local farm supply store after a nice supper and got a 39"X1/2", too long. Monday I picked up a 38" belt, Bingo! Got everything bolted back in place and hit the key. Crank, crank, crank, nothing no spark!!!!!!! To keep the tractor from ending up in little bitty pieces I went in the house racking my brain not wanting to pull the engine again. It finally dawned on me that I had kind of forced the points cover on. Pulled that off this morning, low and behold I had grounded out the wire from the key, spark and once again a running 725. Oh what a relief it is. Another one of those dumb little things we do and don't think about.

Simpl 725.jpg

I've posted a pic of her on here before but I figured someone would ask so here she is.

57e058dd629ca_Simpl725.jpg.3afd60d6d609ad03f056a5f1aee0fb70.jpg

GWGAllisfan

Could you post a picture of how and where the kill switch wire comes out of the points box? My B-1 has that missing and I would love to wire it properly, factory like

simplewrench

On the 725 it is routed through a hole in the bottom forward corner of the plate that is bolted to the engine. The wire on mine is pretty heavy duty and I had to work it out and back in but it makes more sense to have it in the bottom than the top. Sometimes progress isn't. If you need more info or a picture still let me know.