Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Almost rolled her over!!!

sb64

Before I start off, I don't consider myself hard on or rough with any equipment.

Last evening when I got home, I went out to the barn and fired up the old Landlord and took her out for a "cruze." I have a forest patch behind my house, with a little clearing, so I decided to go through it. I made a little trail, and it was pretty narrow, so I attempted to make another route out and down. At the end of the trail there is a short but steep knoll. I wasn't worried too muck, because i had my weights and chains on. When I started to turn around, the right front wheel hit a weak spot about 7" away from the knoll and the right rear followed. I'd say that the knoll is about a foot and a half at about a 50 degree angle. (You could imagine what went through my mind at about this time.) I don't know how the tractor didn't tip, but both left wheel were off the ground, and the only thing stopping it from going further was the center pto, which was in the moss just enough.

I just thought I'd post this to let others know that just because it looks safe doesn't mean it is. I shouldn't have trusted that mossy ledge in the first place. And I'm lucky I didn't get hurt by my own ignorance. If that PTO hadn't held, the tractor could've tipped on me. Nothing got damaged including me thank god.

Safety is often the first thing thought of after the accident. Glad to here you didn't get hurt or the tractor. I know from previous lucky experiences that it might look ok but to always plan for the worst. Those butt puckering times seem to stick in a guys memory!8D