Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Determine year of Briggs 23D engine

MikeES

I just picked up a pretty nice B10. It is an early one based on the grill and the engine and transaxle are yellow. It has the original 23D engine Type 012902, S/N 73530. But there is not a code number. So without a code number I can't identify the year built. So is there a way to determine the year built on a 23D?

B10web1.JPG

B10web1.JPG.870462d70b6b359eb01354f1408c3711.JPG

Nice early B10, oem seat frame, lights, metal looks straight, nice mower...Great score dOd

The early B10 was only made for the '63-'64 model run, then '65 was the Big 10 if I remember...because My B12 was '66...sm00

Thanks, everyone.The tractor is all original, all equipment and fasteners are in place including the hood thumb screws. The deck in in very good condition. Sheet metal is all straight and the hood only has a few minor scratches and still shines. The PO said he can't get it running, put in new points and condenser, but still no spark. It has been sitting for several years. The battery still had enough juice to turn the engine over. Gas tank dry. Opened the points cover ran a piece of paper through the points check to make sure it was gapping, checked and it had spark, poured a little gas in the spark plug hole, and fire up on the 2nd stroke!The only things that I have found so far is that the keyway for the drive pulley is "wallered" out. I will try the JB Weld trick as I have done successfully with axle shafts. The BGB is also a little loose. And you can that the seat needs a redo, and the grill is damaged.My original tractor that gave me the disease is an HB212, this is my 2nd yellow tractor, all my other 10 tractors are from the 70s.

webB10left.JPG

webB10rt.JPG

webB10back.JPG

webB10left.JPG.f53790b357111d41d921d6c7b27c25af.JPG

webB10rt.JPG.3fc6103eff7bbc1dd3f957efe8c8aaf9.JPG

webB10back.JPG.795f4e70abdf47c556f274aa2e8da255.JPG

You learn something here everyday. I did not know when the gear logo was changed to the triangle logo.

Thanks, Tim.

Update on tractor: Got it running, and it runs great no smoke.

But more problems found: Gas tank leaks. Input shaft to BGB is so loose you can move it up and down almost 1/2". I will be surprised if the BGB case is still good. :(

I have a spare from the later post 1971 tractors, but with my back log of other projects I will have to put this tractor away for awhile before tearing it apart.