Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Variable Transmission Rebuild (Finished)

jsarro

I recently took apart my variable speed transmission from my 3112V to replace a cracked axle tube. I decided to take everything apart for a look, rather than just replace the tube. I have been learning a ton from this job, and I am glad I took it on so far. :DI have not finished the job yet. This post is to show you all what I found inside, and get feedback on any repairs I may or may not want to make while the transmission is open. Considering $$$Costs and future use.Also any pointers, reminders, or tips on things I should consider to finish this job properly are appreciated. dOdBTW, I am pretty impressed this is a nearly 45 yr old tractor.

11102013 032.jpg

11102013 034.jpg

11102013 035.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jsarro

• fishnwiz

• johnmonkey

• littlemarv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are some images of the transmission degreased, on blocks, and opened up.

11092013 050.jpg

11092013 053.jpg

11092013 057.jpg

11092013 061.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

Here is a diagram for perspective on the parts breakdown of this transmission.

variabletrans.gif

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pic

This is view of everything still intact. The 2 washers are meant to go on top of the 2nd and 3rd intermediary shafts.

11092013 065.jpg

Here I have removed the top gear from the first intermediary shaft, and have taken out the axle tube.

11092013 069.jpg

Now I have removed most of the 2nd and 3rd intermediary gears and shafts.

11092013 076.jpg

The third shaft was a little sticky. It came out easy later. It is easiest to keep everything together as it comes out.I had a little tricky time figuring out how to get the pulley shaft out and the 1st intermediary shaft out while navigating the shift forks. Eventually they came out easy.

11092013 078.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

Here is some unnecessary $18.00 damage I did to the needle bearing removing the top cover to the case over the tube. The case came up easy until I got to the top, and then got stuck.Although I had sanded the shaft well, I later tapped the end of the tube with a hammer creating a lip. This caused the cover to not pass the end of the tube. I filed the small lip and the cover came right off, only after I had already cracked the bearing. Had I left the oil seal in place this may have not happened. Beginners mistake. This is my first transmission repair/rebuild.

11092013 086.jpg

Here is reverse gear.

11092013 088.jpg

11092013 089.jpg

Here are the shift forks.

11092013 090.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

Here is the cracked old axle tube.

11092013 093.jpg

Here is the gear layout. From left to right.Pulley shaft and gears1st Intermediary shaft and gears2nd Intermediary shaft and gears3rd Intermediary shaft and gearsAxle Tube shaft and gears

11102013 001.jpg

11102013 002.jpg

11102013 003.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

Here are some close up of the tube, gear, and keys.

11102013 005.jpg

11102013 006.jpg

Here is the new tube after emery cloth.

11102013 038.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

This is the 3rd intermediary shaft and gears.

11102013 007.jpg

Here is the key and key way.

11102013 011.jpg

Here are the keys.

11102013 012.jpg

11102013 013.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

Here is the 1st intermediary shaft and gears. Take a look.

11102013 019.jpg

11102013 020.jpg

11102013 022.jpg

11102013 023.jpg

11102013 025.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

Here is the main pulley shaft and its gears.

11102013 026.jpg

11102013 027.jpg

11102013 028.jpg

11102013 030.jpg

Here is another overview of my layout before reassembly.

11102013 031.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

Here are some of my questions:

Do I need to replace any of the worn gears, there are no missing teeth, is it worth it?

The transmission was shifting fine in all gears with no slipping.

How about the keys, do any of them definitely need replacing. Should I get new keys for the tube? Are any of these keys available off the shelf?

I have new axle seals, shifter seals, and the main gasket already.

I need to order the needle bearing I broke, and possibly the grease seal off the hub differential, are those a good idea to replace?

What other parts should I consider getting and what else do I need to know before I put this back together?

Thanks for the help!

The gears that appears to have wear are on the man pulley shaft, the 1st intermediary shaft, and reverse.

All else appears to have no wear as far as I can tell.

Jack, if he doesn't pop in, send Dennis, spyder400k a pm.

He is an excellent trans guy and has done a few of these.

He will probably be able to tell you anything you need to know.

Thanks Jack! This is very educational for me as I've never been inside that trans. I'm sure this will be referanced by alot of us in the future...dOd

[maybe move this to the tech tips??]

Thank you guys for all the great feedback and support. I appreciate it. Part of having the guts to tear into this transmission, is knowing that if I get stuck we have a whole forum full of people here to offer some advice or help.

This is my first transmission job, so there is a bit of a learning curve here, but I am confident I will get this back together and things will be fine.

I need to organize a parts list over the next few days and get what I need to finish the job.

I will have some more questions about the finer details, like how to make sure the forks are properly adjusted before I close things up, etc.

I am reading the manual as I go here, but it sometimes takes actually doing it, to fully understand it.

I figured this thread could be a good learning opportunity for many on the site as well as myself. Happy to share it!

Any key with any wear or grooving. I would replace all of them while I was in there. Even if as much as $2 each, the keys are cheap compared to taking the transmission apart again. The woodruff keys from the 3rd intermediary shaft are very worn.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

Any key with any wear or grooving. I would replace all of them while I was in there. Even if as much as $2 each, the keys are cheap compared to taking the transmission apart again. The woodruff keys from the 3rd intermediary shaft are very worn.

id="quote">
id="quote">Chris thanks for the feedback. I'm on it. Any keys that show grooves will be changed.Like you said the 3rd intermediary shaft keys are shot.I am definitely getting new keys for the tube where it cracked. I have been told worn keys can lead to that tube cracking.Grease had been leaking out that tube crack from the differential.

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

Thanks Jack! This is very educational for me as I've never been inside that trans. I'm sure this will be referanced by alot of us in the future...dOd[maybe move this to the tech tips??]

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks Greg,In the end when this job is completed if the powers that be see this thread worthy of tech tips, that would be an honor!

quote:Originally posted by littlemarv

This is an awesome thread! Your organization and attention to detail is admirable.Keep up the good work!

id="quote">
id="quote">Marv and JohnMonkey thanks for your recognition. I am just doing the best I can, like all of you.

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Jack, if he doesn't pop in, send Dennis, spyder400k a pm.He is an excellent trans guy and has done a few of these.He will probably be able to tell you anything you need to know.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks Dan. I have been in touch with Dennis, and he has been a big help.

• 1 month later...

I recently finished up the rebuild and installation of the 3112V transmission. Many pics to follow. The date on the pictures is off by 2 months.The following pics show the removal and re-installation of the axle tube needle bearing.

12192013 001.jpg

12192013 002.jpg

12192013 003.jpg

12192013 006.jpg

12192013 007.jpg

I used the axle tube sleeve to help tap the bearing in with a rubber mallet. This worked the best out of my limited tools for this I had on hand.If someone would link to a tool that presses in bearings and bushings I might look for that in the future.

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

These images show the removal and installation of the main input pulley shaft bearing.

12192013 009.jpg

12192013 010.jpg

12192013 012.jpg

12192013 015.jpg

12192013 016.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pics

• Who's Online (See full list)

• SmilinSam
    • Ronald Hribar
    • rbstuartjr
    • littlemarv
    • BLT
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts