Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Best plug to use

OrangeMetalGuy

I always say stay with OEM then your safe...But I've been using the new "Splitfire" plugs and they seem to keep their gap longer..? but who knows???

I personally will not buy any Champion plugs due to the short life span I've had from years ago. They may be better than they were 10-15 years ago but just don't trust them. I like Autolite, NGK, and Bosch in that order.

Dan

Engine people like to put their own P/N to a plug and as an alternate they will generally mention a Champ number. And Champion has had that makrket for some time. And spark plugs are an electricial device prone to failure at anytime and I have had some over the years, that have failed right out of the carton. 75% hard starting can be attribited to a failed plug, name a brand.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by sispro

My choice would not be a champion plug they get wet they will not spark I only use AC or Bosh

id="quote">
id="quote">Albert Champion, a long time ago, sold his spark plug business to General Motors, hence, the A-C line. After his period of no compete he went back to making spark plugs, hence Champion, so they can't be that bad.

In my bike all summer I had problems with the champion plugs they get wet and bike would not start same thing in my tractors changed over to bosh and ac np what so ever been running strong since

I agree with Jim. I switched to Autolite, about 10 years ago, and am truly impressed with their performance. I run about 150 hours per year, and change the Autolite plugs about every 4 years, whether they need it or not. And they usually don't need it.

Bottom line is the heat range. If the heat range is too hot the plug will burn up. If the heat range is too cold then the plug will foul. The primary difference between most plugs is how close the plug will match the factory heat range when you cross-reference to another brand. I use the plug (both Manufacturer and number) that is called for by the manufacturer on every engine I have that is stock.

If the engine is modified, then I will sometimes change the heat range to match the modifications.

IN the old days, a Champion J17 or 19 LM, would last for years in the associated lawnmowers they were used in. Those plugs went by the wayside when the hotter sparks were introduced with electronics. Unless you had an oil burner that caked oil, and the plug had to be cleaned from time to time, there was rarely a need to bother removing a plug while diagnosing. I run Autolite in my old Briggs engines, as I have not found a Champion that will not go to ground quickly.