Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Electric fuel pump question Updated with Pics

rokon2813

No idea what max would be, most guys stay with under 4 pounds I think.

I would guess it would not take much more than that to force the needle open (force the float to sink a bit)

Kent

Mike, I'm almost certain that it won't handle 7 psi. Remember that most of these oldies were designed for gravity feed...

There's always the option of adding a pressure regulator, but should you choose to go that route, make sure that it is designed to regulate pressure down at these low pressure ranges (2-4 psi). Many are very inaccurate at low PSI, jut like tire gauges that measure 50psi or more aren't good for monitoring the low tire pressures of these machines.

joelk

Mike,

Here is a good thread that shows how to plumb a higher pressure pump without concern of over pressure by using a recirculation line. I have not tried it, but look at the drawing from HubbardRA about half way down the page. It makes logical sense anyway.

http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122960

jasper

I regularly check them to 9 psi for customers after I overhaul one but that is on the bench upside down. I would doubt it would reliably hold 7 psi on a running tractor. I did test one to 15 psi before it leaked. but most will start bleeding at 9.5 or so.

I have replaced the mechanical pump with a pulse pump and they are a lot cheaper than the oem but a lot more work to install.

rickpilgrim

Mike,

If you can get the rebuild kit from Kohler for that pump that would be the best way to do that. It's just a few gaskets and diaphragms and easy to do as they only fit one way. Should that not be possible next best option is get a Briggs plastic pulse pump from Stens or Rotary and use that. We have one of them on a 23 hp Kawasaki mower( I was being cheap) and it has worked fine for that.

As a last resort you can go electric, we put a little 35 gph rattle pump from eBay that was only 3 psi on a 20 hp robin and the first thing was reset float level, next was idle mix and then initially flooded when cold starting until I put a cheap regulator set at 1.5 psi and now it works ok. Just my thoughts, do what works for you

rickpilgrim

If no rebuild kit is available then try the B&S plastic pulse pump, they are inexpensive and close enough to work just fine.

In your search for parts if you have not already look for a small engine shops that deal with the small engine aftermarket such as Stens or Rotary or Oregon etc as you may find what you need there.

Paulcurtis3

Hi! I also put a electric pump on my 620 . It has the poor mans regulator, ( two hose set up) on it also. I used a 2-4 psi. Pump. Works great. I don't know a lot about the Kohlers.

Simple_4041_P-MAX

What model of tractor are you mounting it on? Anyway you could mount it on the side of the motor using one of the bolts that hold the engine shroud on? Just get creative and you'll find somewhere to mount it.

Mike

Installing an electric fuel pump on a large frame 916This is the kit, the pump is larger than I expected, after reading some reviews I decided to not use the kit filter, also for future filter replacement inline seems a better option.

fpp4.jpg

Shroud bolt seemed cleanest option.fpp5.jpg

Found a broken wire on the switch while finding the right wire to tap intofpp3.jpg

Very clean install, I had to go back to black fuel line as the nipples are 5/16 and my clear blue line is 1/4, I will change it after I aquire more fuel linefpp1.jpg

Made a quick plate to cover the fuel pump opening, managed to slice my thumb open in the processfpp.jpg

whole process took about an hour I was taking my time, for once I had no pressure to get done, this one's just getting ready for a winter nap. I will order another one of these pumps for my 7014. The tractor popped right off and ran stronger than ever

Mike

new issue now, i replaced the tank bushing and now the tractor won't run, spiting lots of gas out the carb, changed plug out still no luck, the plug doesn't seem to be getting fuel either, I checked float and it shuts off gas flow when up.

I'm a little stumped

JimS

I used one of these dead-headed into the carb with no return line and after extended use it overheats and stops working. Works fine after it cools down again. Also had some flooding problems with it. I don't know if this is a problem for all of these pumps or just the one I put on. I also used one with a return line and and have not had a problem with it. Anybody else had this overheating problem?