Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

powermax snow thrower

HerbP

First big snowfall of the season and I had a big grin because I'd get to teach that snow who was boss... I pulled out the powermax that had run great all summer and it was a real dog... I couldn't keep it running strong; the slightest bit of snow and it bogged down and was blowing black smoke... Every few feet I'd have to stop, turn off the front PTO, pull the throttle down to idle and let it catch its breath again, then slowly rev it up to full, turn on the PTO, drive a few feet and do it all over again.

To make matters worse I got about halfway down the driveway and the tractor stalled. Turned off the PTO, started the tractor again, hit the PTO and it died again. So I checked the snow thrower and it's clear but it won't spin... Drive it back to the shop and have a poke.. Turns out the left-hand threaded nut on the pulley of the mule hitch had been shot into orbit and the pulley was jamming up the whole hitch. The woodruff key is gone too and the shaft/pulley are now a bit of a loose-fit...

I assume I can just find a LH 1/2"-13 nut somewhere but I don't know what to do about the shaft and pulley play now ...

This tractor hobby is great when you don't already have a metric buttload of things occupying the rest of your time and you just need a tractor that works ...

We feel your pain. The joy of running your favorite machine and getting real work done at the same time.....then goes bad with mechanical issues. I don't have a blower for mine but somebody will chime in on the shaft and pulley

I would have to go out and look but I am sure that the shaft it not to big of a project to make and I would bet that the pulley is quite standard. I know that I have put new bushings in my thrower glad it is still working.I am lucky that I can use the mills and lathes at work to make almost anything that I need.

Sorry to hear about the snowthrower but thank you for the new term. I love it.

As if a standard buttload wasn't bad enough, now I have to run it through one of those online conversion sites!:D:D:D