Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rear pole lift boom

hamman01

Anyone ever build a pole boom lift for the rear of their Simplicity, Homelite or Allis GT? I have been mulling this around for a while now. Would make it nice to move things around with my advancing age. I have an extra Homelite rear lift that I could use to sacrifice for this project. I have an idea but I am stuck with figuring out how to mount it at the bottom so it wil articulate up and down. I probably woun't be building this until sometime in the spring. Thanks in advance for any information. Roger.

Maybe built the boom like a long hitch then use a rod in the lift with a chain. Not sure how high your wantting to lift things but I used to lift my 5 foot landscape rake on the B-112 like that. Need wt on the front.

I have a slab (suitcase) weight that I believe is heavy enough to counter balance the weight that would be on the back. It is a IHC weight for one of the big boy tractors. I am making a plan for it now and would like to make it simular to a 3pt hitch. I think the chain would work to lift it. I am just concerned about the side to side of it. Thanks. Roger.

This one is still my favorite. A bit more elaborate than a pole off the rear lift bracket, but darn nice craftsmanship.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=50024&SearchTerms=wrecker

mini-toe1jpg.jpg

mini-toe4jpg.jpg

Talented I knew you would have agood one stuck somewhere in your archives. Thanks. That is neat. Thanks guys all good ideas. Wish I could draw so you all could see what is in my mind. Roger.

I'm curious, does it need the undercarrige or could it be pinned and hang just on the rear lift if I made one and put it on the back of a late model sovereign?

Mike, it ties everything together. It also reinforces the BGB, like the subframe on a loader. I doubt you would have a 1 ton truck axle hanging off the back though:D. It is a very nice, well thought out design.

I'm sure you can hang it, that's what the builder did initially, but especially on a footdragger, and especially if using front counter weight, I would want to bridge that BGB (just like the loader and forklift attachments). I'm sure it woudl be fine for shuffling light stuff...a tiller, mower decks, wrecker for other dead tractors, etc. Coudl take it's toll over time though.

I had thought of reinforcing the frame with some heavy channel along the frame. Not sure how that will work. Still gathering ideas. I like that one but my need is going to be more along the temporary type. this will be mounted on my dads Homelite, however I do have two other T-16 H that I plan on using around here. They will not be used to mow mostly for hauling and such. Still gathering input and ideas. Still trying to outline a readvle sketch for you guys. Thanks. Roger.

I would limit it to the stuff I cant do by myself. Say 400 to maybe 600 pounds. Heck, even using it to throw 200 pounds up would be nice the more I think of it. I put 42 inch blowers over my head just fine, its the stuff lower that requires the grunt I would use it for.

quote:Originally posted by Burntime

I would limit it to the stuff I cant do by myself. Say 400 to maybe 600 pounds. Heck, even using it to throw 200 pounds up would be nice the more I think of it. I put 42 inch blowers over my head just fine, its the stuff lower that requires the grunt I would use it for.

id="quote">
id="quote">Mike, I wouldn`t be lifting 42" blowers over my head. You can do what you want but removing a 36" tiller from the back of the truck is what caused a herniated disc in my back. Three years later, I had a $180,000 back surgery that made me a lot wiser on that stuff. One stupid move can cause you a life time of pain even if you feel like superman.

Paul (ridgerunner)....the link in the post takes you to his discussion about it. He's almost a neighbor but I still havent managed to get over to his place and scope out his collection.

The mast/crane is one of the harbor freight truck hoists...$90 or so.

I posted this question a couple of months ago and wound up using a piece if 1" cold rolled bar stock just long enough to clear the front wheels of another tractor on a 90 degree turn. I welded a bolt on top at the end and bolted a slip hook onto it loosely, stuck the other end into the rear lift socket and drilled a hole and put a pin thru it. When picking up a dead tractor with the electric lift it is sometimes necessary to reach back and give it a little help, but it works. BTW this is on a 3410

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Paul (ridgerunner)....He's almost a neighbor but I still havent managed to get over to his place and scope out his collection. The mast/crane is one of the harbor freight truck hoists...$90 or so.

id="quote">
id="quote">I'm glad you all like it. It was a fun little project. Talnted, you can stop by anytime your in the area. Always an open invite.As for it being a Harbor Fright truck hoist.... no, it was all hand fabricated. The only thing "bought" was the bottle jack. I know I haven't been on Simple Tractors in a while, but if anyone has any questions about the boom/hoist, just ask.

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

Mike:If you can lift 42" blowers over your head, "just fine", you're a better man than I, no question! sm06

id="quote">
id="quote">Brett, I can, I just don't like to get dirty when wearing dress clothing. That contraption would be kinda cool!