Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

subzero350

I think I broke an axle tube in my 3410H

subzero350

See pictures:

lt_side_axle2.jpg

rt_side_axle2.jpg

Looking at the owner's manual exploded view of the transmission, it appears the axle shaft tube assembly (p/n: 166066) is supposed to be one piece running thru and exiting both sides of the transmission. It turns on the left side but does not turn on the right side where it goes into the differential when I have the engine running and try to go in FWD or REV. I think it might have busted at the snap ring groove that is inside the transmission right next to the drive gear. Am I wrong?

If I did break an axle tube, how difficult are these to change? I assume the entire transmission needs to be disassembled to do this, correct?

Thanks for the info in advance.

-ryan

MPH

Yep, it has to be split in two. When I got my 3314 it had a broken one, was able to get one new from Sandy Lake then. May as well replace at least the seals while you have it apart. There are a couple posts somewhere on the site with pictures doing it.

JoggerFogger

I 2nd that diagnosis. Seems like the axle tubes take a beating on these machines. I'm going to guess that you'll find "wallered" out keyways in most of the components in that final drive.

If you don't know already, you're in for splitting the rear transmission case to get to the axle tube. And if you're that far, order new bearings and seals to go with your new (used) axle tube.

I'm smelling about $160 for the repair doing it yourself. $100-120 for the axle tube and $40 in gaskets, seals, bearings, and keys.

-Kevin

jsarro

I am in the midst of this job here:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=133937

The job has not been too bad, it is somewhat enjoyable to get inside these old machines and see how they were made.

The most difficult part is finding a few shift gears on the main pulley shaft chewed a bit, and not having a spare or better set to put in it.

After investing in new seals, gasket, some bearings, and keys, I almost don't want to close it back up until I get a better set of gears.

If I can be of any help feel free to PM.

Good Luck! dOd

subzero350
quote:Originally posted by rickpilgrim

And if you are not to far from 54401 I have a 3416H rear axle assembly for very cheap, like $25 for everything besides the hydro pump/motor.

id="quote">
id="quote">46819 zip here. Looks like an 8 hour drive and probably wouldn't be economical. But thanks for the offer. I got a PM from another member and it sounds like he might have what I need.