Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

macallis180

AC 620 Onan voltage to stator to start chg?

macallis180

Nothing but grief so far on my fail to charge problem on the Onan CCKB.C Has a used stator and flywheel from Sandy Lake, new Onan regulator,new Onan rectifier. Mechanic has checked using Al Edens checklist from Onan, but still can't get a charge. Something is falling thru the cracks.

Wonders what the voltage going into the stator should be?

Anyone know?

Thanks.

BLT

With the engine running WOT, the stator creates A-C voltage anywhere between 28 and 33 VAC, from there it passes thru a retifier that will reduce the voltalge to 14-16 VDC then to the regulator where you get your top run voltage of roughly 13.8 VDC.

Brettw
quote:Wonders what the voltage going into the stator should be?id="quote">
id="quote">

This may be your issue. To my knowledge, no voltage goes into the stator, the stator produces and exports voltage.

macallis180

just came in from running a wire direct from battery into white on regulator to bypass ignition switch (idea someone else suggested). Still not charging. I am still missing something, obviously. Had previously used a 12 volt headlight in that circuit then to ground, lite was bright when ign switch was turned on. This has more than me very confused.

macallis180

bought a CCKB-MS/2420H manual some time ago. Will have to go back to that again. Getting too bloody cold, so may give up til next spring as I have been fighting this issue all summer, now my fingers are getting so cold trying to do anything laying on my back underneath the tractor.

I appreciate the all response on this. Sure has been troublesome.

Thanks.

macallis180

Mechanic claimed he checked and couldn't find an open. Says everything at the end of all the checklists indicates poor stator, but I certainly don't think I will go that route. Bought new Onan rectifier and regulator. I paid plenty for the used stator and flywheel, my money is gone.

Only thing I've got plenty of is aggravation.

Think this problem will wait til next spring when it is warmer to lay under the tractor and not freeze my fingers to start checking things again!

Thanks for the suggestions.

B10Dave

Merle; I have seen several 620/720 tractors using a small single wire alternator with internal voltage regulater run off the front of the crankshaft and mounted beside the battery.Solves the problem for a reasonable cost and easier to repair if needed in the future....Dave

B10Dave

Merle; I am pretty sure member "midnightpumpkin" John has one of his converted this way. Try a PM to John and he may be able to answer any questions you have....Dave

Paulcurtis3

Hi! I have also put on a small alternator on my 620 and it was the best decision I ever made! It was so easy and I even added a pulley so it would be live all the time. Not a minutes trouble. I even took out the stator and junked it. It now has no drag from the magnets as well. If your interested, give me a pm and I will send you picks. Regards,Paul Btw, John U got me started on the idea also. THANKS JOHN!

Paulcurtis3

Here is a picture I took while restoring. It is the only one I have ready right now but tomorrow I will take some good pics and try to post them. I just purchased a 720 last week and am going over it checking things out and tuning etc. if the charge system acts out in any way............ It will receive a new alt. also. These little things are only 65.00 delivered to my door, take one wire to the battery, and have a lifetime guarantee. Great updates. Oh, and they are 35 amps. Anyway, thanks for the interest,,,, Paul

0b5ed9cf5bc313ec0eb2e044c32b20a7_zpse2a008a0.jpg

Paulcurtis3

I made a adapter shim and added a pulley so it is independent of the front pto. I changed the muffler and made my manifold because I got this tractor from the junk and the original was Mia . I also like the look of it coming out the side like the larger farm tractors. Thanks Paul

b3f74de2-1110-4213-b37f-389d6c6266ea_zpse69c655a.jpg