Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

GRASS BUILD UP ON ENGINE AIR INTAKE

RonHatch

I had the right side cover off that is below the battery the other day on my B10 doing some cleaning and lubricating of the steering gears. I notice that grass was starting to build up under the rotating screen of the engine flywheel. I rebuilt the engine about two years ago so I was a little surprised to see this happening already. I mow about 1 1/4 acres but, I switch off and mow with a 4016 Case about half of the time.

My question is; has anyone designed an easy to clean 'pre-filter' that would fit over the flywheel? I blew compressed air and cleaned out the grass as well as I could but, in order to sleep at nights, I'm going to need to pull the engine and clean it out properly. Because this tractor is not easy to work on, I'm not looking forward to doing this every couple of years.

Any Ideas out there? I'm sure I'm not the only one that noticed this problem and would like a easy fix.

I assume you have a Briggs engine. If you remove the cylinder shield (Briggs parts book reference 306) from time to time, and the likely hood of trapprd grass clippings will be in that area . You should be able to blow anything loose and then run the engine to let the loosened stuff blow forward and re-install sheild.

I can't say I've run across one with any kind of buildup of grass clippings before. Just about every one I've ever brought home has had a mouse house though, but that's usually up top and accessible.

Bob's method should work great...just don't be peekin in there when you fire it up or you'll eat the stuff. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I'll do that after this season is over. In the meantime, I have tons of leaves to pickup. I have a vacuum system on both my AC and my Case for that. I just wish my B10 had a 12 HP B&S in it instead of the 10HP. The 10 HP B&S has to really work driving everything. I also have a round fender JD that I mow with. I had a CC 102 for a couple of years, but I sold that because I didn't like the way it mowed, amount other things.

IMG_1410.JPG

BrittaDanielOct08 002.jpg

IMG_1410.JPG.cb891e158a75389ea7d304c8e7f130ee.JPG

57e05f6dddbc0_BrittaDanielOct08002.jpg.9915734d72743fc062d8f3ad4f49d2f4.jpg

I've never had a problem with grass-buildup on the screen of the cast-iron Briggs.

But, the Kohler Magnum 12 on my walk-behind Gravely has a piece of small "angle-iron" mounted across the fan shroud that scrapes any clippings off, as the engine spins. It just barely clears the screen on the fan, being as close as possible without rubbing...

The Kohler on the Gravely is much more prone to sucking stuff up, since it hangs out the back with the fan only inches above the ground near your feet. You can see that "scraper" in this pic:

gravely_left.JPG

Adding something like this to shroud on a Briggs would be relatively easy...

We never had this on any of our Briggs or kohler engines probably because ever week we blew the dust and chalf out with the air compressor and just maybe that would work for you also. I'd try that before pulling the engine.

My Dad had an old Cub Cadet with that problem. The solution, after I had placed a remote canister air filter behind the seat, and an air scoop from the front of the engine out of the engine area, was to close up the front, leading edge of the deck. It had been removed, I suppose to allow the deck to cut taller grass. I welded a section back in all across the front, and removed the air scoop, could have removed the air cleaner, as very little grass accumulated in the engine area after that. We still cut tall grass with no problem. Sometimes improvements are not really improvements, but sound good at the time.