Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Re-gasketing B110...Any tips?

B110guy

My B110 engine has been bleeding oil badly all summer. Finally bought a Briggs gasket set and am getting ready to get to work on her. Any tips, tricks, things to look out for while I'm doing it? Is there a good source for torque specs for the hardware that needs it?

B110guy

Don't forget about the gasket that sets the crankshaft end play.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the one on the output shaft side, thicker for more play, thinner for less.

If you are using the lift the engine off the oil pan method(like I do) then you will need to be careful not to pinch or slide the flange as you reinstall the block. Anymore, I just use a bead of Gasket Maker with a thread fiber run through it. Aircraft style. Been working for years that way without issue.

Once upon a time, an old GM mechanic told my to use "Gorilla Snot" aka weatherstrip adhesive to hold a gasket in place.

The adhesive was NOT for sealing, just locating the gasket. There are many applications where sealer is not supposed to be used.

I had also learned that tying the gasket with kite string to the block or cover worked for holding. Get the mating surfaces close enough to start a bolt, then take your scissors or side cutters and cut the string and remove it with your needle nose pliers.