Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

'75 Homelite T16H restoration

1meanZ

Wanted to start a thread on here to document the restoration of my Homelite T16H.

I've already cleaned up and re-keyed the extra transaxle I had. I've also got all the parts to build a new bevel gear box. The engine needs a head gasket, but otherwise the tractor was sound LOL. Anyway, here is what I've got to start with.

029_zpsd4565e23.jpg

060_zps286d44ce.jpg

061_zpsf4306cc4.jpg

062_zps878e567a.jpg

064_zps5113ba7f.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1meanZ

• B10Dave

• Chris727

• Brettw

After the first evening I got this far

097_zpsa9f69a57.jpg

098_zps624999a9.jpg

After the 2nd evening I got this far.

106_zps9855fecb.jpg

After the 3rd evening I got this far. Where did the tractor go? haha

107_zps456c5bbf.jpg

Tonight I got nearly everything sandblasted. Tomorrow the plan is to finish the blasting and get everything primed. I'll post more pix as we go along. Thanks for watching!

Thanks for the kind words guys. Took all the parts to Dads this weekend and sandblasted them all off. I hate sandblasting, it's such a mess, but it was worth it. We were planning to use automotive grade Dupont etching primer and then a coat of filler primer. However when we got everything blasted, wiped down, and laid out ready to spray, we found out he didn't have the primer ingredients he thought he had. With all the auto parts stores closed around here, and with all the bare metal parts ready to go, we punted and went to the local Tractor Supply store. We bought some of the Majic brand primer. I know people have had bad luck with their spray cans, but I decided to roll the dice on their actual sprayable product. I gotta say, we thinned it down slightly more than recommended with the Majic brand reducer, and it sprayed on fantastically. You nearly can't get it to run, it laid on a nice solid coat, multiple coats in some places where I know I'm going to need to sand it some, and not a sag or drip anywhere, and I'm not experienced with a paint gun at all. I couldn't believe how well it laid down. It does take a long time to dry, but it was dry to touch in about 45min or so. We carried all the parts back into the shop and I'll get them tomorrow on my way home, the can says allow 12hrs to dry enough to handle. Here is a pic of the operation today. It was a little breezy, so it's kind of a dirt chunk special, but I'll be sanding most of it out. We'll be painting it inside the shop, so when it counts, we'll be in a clean environment. The Majic primer laid down so nice I'm tempted to try their paint. Not the rattle cans, but the actual paint that I'll spray with a gun. Does anyone have any experience with the actual Majic paint sprayed out of a gun?

108_zps1bd3b49f.jpg

This week I'll likely start building my new bevel gear box, and I'll probably strip the engine down for a new head gasket, cleaning and paint job as well. I'll let the primer cure out for a couple days before I try to sand it.

I have used Majic before. If you were to use it for finish use their hardener as well as their reducer and it will shoot real nice. It still takes along time to cure and doesn't quite have the shine or depth as the more expensive paints,but pretty durable once cured.

Thanks for the feedback on that, it means a lot. I planned to use their hardener and reducer if I used their paint as you suggested. I used their reducer with the primer, I'd say I added about 25% more reducer than they recommended to thin it down so it would spray a bit better, but I was really happy with how it sprayed. I can certainly live with a longer cure time, I'm not in a big hurry, as long as I can handle it within 8-12 hrs enough to get the parts back home then they can cure for a week before I handle them if needed. Durability and adhesion is my #1 concern, I'm not worried about depth and I figure I can wetsand and buff the hood and fender pan if I want a super glossy shine.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by ardisam

Nice job so far! I thought that the T16's didn't have the sunstrand pumps on them.

id="quote">
id="quote">The early Allis built ones 1971 -1973 1/2 or so had the vickers and were built basically on a extended B-212 frame with different sort of hood and dash.This one in this topic is a 74/75 model made by Simplicity, which is basically a 7000 series with a different stamping to the front panel of the hood.

It's blue and white again! I used the Majic brand paint from tractor supply. For our gun, we needed to add about 1/3 more reducer than they called for to get it to spray, but once thinned down a little, it lays out awesome. For projects like this, this paint seems to be good stuff so far. It does appear to be slow drying, even though it's got their hardener in it. I'll report back on how it dries and it's durability, but so far it seems like good stuff.

photo3_zps29514fc7.jpg

photo2_zps238aea98.jpg

001_zps23793efe.jpg

What color of blue did you go with?

Last time (years ago) I used valspar regal blue and it was a great match, but they changed the color and made it darker(too dark)C by the time I was going to do a second tractor

Jer,

Everything looks "spot-on" in the pics! Can't see any irregularities from HERE!

Good lluck with the rest of the project (BGB and engine).

Wayne

Thanks guys. The white is just the generic gloss white, the blue is Ford tractor blue. Not the correct color I know, but I wanted something easy to match as this is a working tractor and may need touch-up at some point down the road. I didn't want to have to rely on a custom mixed color, and frankly, I like this shade of blue much better than the original pastel blue.

For any of those that are curiosu, I wetsanded the primer with 600 grit paper and thats really all the prepwork I had to do. The Majic primer was high enough build that it filled most of the minor pitting from the rust on the hood and seat pan. Other than a few inevitable dirt nubs from painting in the shop, it is very smooth and nice as the pictures show. If there are any drawbacks it's that it seems slow to dry (will check it tomorrow after 24hrs and see how dry it is) and it's very sticky, the blue especially. For some reason the blue was difficult to clean out of the gun and was generally just sticky and hard to clean. Hopefully that means it will adhere well and be durable once it dries!

Thanks again guys for the comments. I'm really happy with how it turned out so far. This is supposed to be a working tractor, but one thing has lead to another and it's going to turn out really pretty, which wasn't originally the plan. I told the neighbor lady whose dad bought this tractor brand new that I was restoring it. She'll flip when she sees it finished.

I think it looks great! I know if I ever do another I am going to borrow PeepyDan`s idea and paint the frame while it is mounted to a engine stand.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

I think it looks great! I know if I ever do another I am going to borrow PeepyDan`s idea and paint the frame while it is mounted to a engine stand.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks Ray, I think I have 3 or4 engine stands that I picked up for cheap over the years and love the easy access and good visibility to almost all areas.The paint job looks great and very slick looking. Have you found a source for the decals?When I restored my T-13 I had a local sign maker do mine but they are no longer in business. Dan

Not sure why my pictures are upside down? Anyway, for decals I've been dealing with Nate at Vintage Graphics www.clickitandstickit.com. He is working on the layout now but has been quick to respond with our communications thus far. He is a sponsor here and based on my experience so far I'd recommend him to others.

Checked the parts today and they are completely dry and smooth. This paint has been a pleasant surprise.