Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Don't do what I did.....( pics added)

Architectdave

So I finished putting the bgb in the 3314 this morning and all is well. I decided it would be a good time to work on my loader sub-frame since I was in the shop and had plenty of time. Long story short I was welding next to my oil drain pan. It is the type with a small hole in the top to let the oil collect and drain into the storage area below then you poor it out into a recycle jug. Well long story short the oil pan ignited while I was spot welding my sub frame and the pictures tell the rest. I currently have 75 lbs of kitty litter absorbing this mess on the garage floor.....Yes it was on fire too and I had to use extinguisher to put it out.

IMG_8597_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8598_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8599_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8597_edited-1.jpg.f7fc5fe4fec7d9faf343aabbd8004516.jpg

IMG_8598_edited-1.jpg.e5c43e7488a36b7f8719f9ace081c9d2.jpg

IMG_8599_edited-1.jpg.c8cc8e3ce5dea5114be835114cd802e1.jpg

Fire is no fun. I remember years ago when "HappyJack" told me about his garage fire when he lost his tractor collection. Pretty depressing..B)

I also had a 712 and a 7016 catch fire when I was mowing with them. Pretty exciting, if thats the word for it.XX(

Hope you didnt lose much.

I had a 725 briefly catch fire this summer due a rotted fuel line and a poor muffler, an ill timed backfire ignited the leaking fuel. Luckily I have running water and a hose that we used to douse the fire. Disaster averted!

Wow, what a mess! Your heart must have really been pumping on that one. Thanks for the lesson in something we don't think about too often while working on this old tin.

quote:Originally posted by plastikosmd

How big is the cat that u keep 75 lbs on hand? ;)

id="quote">
id="quote">I went out and bought 2 big buckets of the stuff for 30 bucks....no cats at home any more....:)

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Wow, what a mess! Your heart must have really been pumping on that one. Thanks for the lesson in something we don't think about too often while working on this old tin.

id="quote">
id="quote">My wife was freaking out until she saw me run for the extinguisher, she was standing at the kitchen window expecting to see me laying on the garage floor. She said it was so load it shook the house.

quote:Originally posted by davidmoll

Glad you didn't get hurt. How far away were you when it exploded?

id="quote">
id="quote">I was above it welding the tack you can see in the picture. Stupid.....I don't keep anything in the garage that's flammable except carb cleaner, the only reason the oil pan was even in the garage is I was waiting for parts so I did some maint. on the tractor.....