Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fix, flip, restore, or part it out

rokon2813

I've owned this about 3 years, finally brought it home this week.Still looking for info to figure out exactly what it is. The tag is missing.Pretty sure it's an L, not sure the year.Anyone maybe have any info that might help? Apparently, they came with a John Deere or a Hercules engine, can't find any markings to tell what it is.Needs a mag, manifold, grill, front tires, probably a radiator, steering wheel, and who knows what else.Came with a snowplow, cultivators, one bottom plow and rear wheel weights.

john deere 003.jpg

john deere 004.jpg

john deere 005.jpg

john deere 001.jpg

john deere 002.jpg

57e058e0efe08_johndeere003.jpg.912a28d016e7ecb59e86d0c8d88ab147.jpg

57e058e10ece8_johndeere004.jpg.e72340d9d8a7c7eafe49805cdea89624.jpg

57e058e124cca_johndeere005.jpg.8ececa0ba9f430c58b7a2a42d296bde0.jpg

57e058e1b6bbd_johndeere001.jpg.d8f7cc94cf81136a0550122445942beb.jpg

57e058e1cc9a6_johndeere002.jpg.9f27229ed4468446de70d9e7b8f37913.jpg

Nice ! My brother fixed up one of these a few years ago. His was missing some body pieces and ended up getting after market fiberglass parts. Yours looks complete. It is part of the "L" series. I think my brothers is an LM. I think I would start with getting it running, and taking it from there.

Good luck !

Mike.

A quick edit, my brothers is an LA, not an LM.

One more quick edit, yours is an LA. Made from 1941 to 1946. The L was much smaller.

Definately an "L".

I've seen one under restoration. I would say it's worth the effort to restore it.

I've seen seats like that one on other tractors.:D:D LOL

They were the competition to the A/C Model "G" tractors.

Good little tractor and the Hercules engines make good torque. The downfall on the one I had (37 LA) was lack of hydraulics and even restored they only sold in the 2500 dollar range.

If you have use for it, I'd keep it as its in a size class pretty much on its on. With the transaxle you have the option of running a huge range of engines or engine transmission combos should you wish to.

But if I didn't want to keep it, I would sell it as is. There are a lot of people would love to have a Deere in that shape. I'd be interested if it were close. Wish I'd known you'd end up with one before I got rid of mine.

Dan,

Just be careful when trying to start it. The link above shows that the engine is setup with "positive" ground. Don't hook the jumper cables up the way we usually do on a negative ground system or you may fry some hard to get electrical parts. Trace the electrical hookups and verify the setup yourself.

We have a couple JD guys here I think. Sooner or later one of them will see this.

I've been told the L did not have provision for electric start. This one does not either. Only crank start.

If I keep it, that may change though. :o

If you think you have a use for it, restore it. If its just for the coolness factor, tinker and flip it. It is a cool old unit!

As for the seat Tim, it was raining when I rolled it off the trailer, I just grabbed something to sit on. Better than the puddle of water. LOL

quote:Originally posted by Burntime

If you think you have a use for it, restore it. If its just for the coolness factor, tinker and flip it. It is a cool old unit!

id="quote">
id="quote">About the only use I have besides cool is plowing snow. I think the 54" blade would be a lot quicker than my 42" B12This thing has actually been in the family about 15 years. I have plowed with it before, 14 years ago LOL, It did a pretty decent job.

I've had a couple people look, 1 didn't offer enough because he wanted to flip it, the second guy is researching what the parts will cost to restore it and will get back to me, and a third guy wants to look as soon as he can make time.

If it's not sold to one of these guys, all friends of mine, then I will probably try getting it running, and go from there.

It is definitely an L, probably 39 40 or 41. 38 was unstyled, and 42 had the JD engine. This one is a Herc so we have it narrowed down a little.

Someone did weld the original 22" rear wheel hubs into 24" wheels to run the 9.50 x 24 turf tires. Nice job of it too. Other than that, it appears all original.

If you have that kind of history with it, then I would keep it. My first simplicity was a 2210, now a 12hp with a chrome air cleaner sits in the place of the 10. I worked the death out of it and only keep it because one of my little guys says it is "his" tractor. Just cool that he takes an interest. Had it not been for his interest it would have been sold.