Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B112 starter generator belt replacement

B112_son

Hello. I have a question about changing the S/G belt. Anyone have any tricks? Do you just disconnect the drive shaft and gently move aside to slip the belt on? It's awfully tight in there and I didn't know if I needed to take more apart.

While I was in there I was going to pull the cover of the flywheel and inspect for mouse house grass etc. before the belt broke upon start up it sounded like something was rattling in there. It looks like to do this you need to pull the pulley for the S/G belt off. Am I wrong on this? Trying to avoid pulling the engine but is that my best bet?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I assume you have a Briggs engine. If you remove the cylinder shield (Briggs parts book reference #306) from time to time, and the likely hood of trapped grass clippings and other crud will be in that area . You should be able to blow anything loose and then run the engine to let the loosened stuff blow forward and re-install shield.

I've done this once without pulling the motor. It involved lots of pliers,(three sets with curved jaws) swearing, a magnet on an extendable arm, and the neighbor to help hold things. We were able to slip it past the spacers where the drive shaft from the motor goes to the BGB shaft.

If you get lucky and it will slide.....

There is a hole in the frame from the bottom, below the bevel gear box, you can loosen the set screw on the drive shaft adapter, and slide it back to get more room, then slide forward again to reinstall.

That is the way it was designed, I have yet to get one to slide, even with the biggest pry bar.

It is a pain, but that belt can be changed like you envision, remove the right side cover, remove the bolts into the flywheel, wiggle the belt through then reassemble like said above.

On the other hand, if you are mechanically inclined you can R&R the entire engine in one evening. Then you can pull your blower housing and check things out too.

I know it seems a little daunting at first but pulling the engine isn't that bad as long as you've got a strong back or lift of some sort. Just time consuming with all the cables and wires.

quote:Originally posted by simplewrench

I know it seems a little daunting at first but pulling the engine isn't that bad as long as you've got a strong back or lift of some sort. Just time consuming with all the cables and wires.

id="quote">
id="quote">When I do it, I unbolt the drive shaft first. (starter and carb will be in the way later)Unbolt the complete starter generator including brackets, then you can swing it back and hang it over the clutch pedal with all the wires still connected.Unbolt the intake manifold from the block and you can swing the carb back and hand it over the footrest with choke cable and hose still attached (it will dump gas out of the bowl) you will have to lower it as it comes off to get the throttle cable out of its hole and the linkage out of the governor armUnhook the kill wire from the points box.5 bolts for the grill frame and 4 for the engine and out it comes :D:D

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards pulling the engine and doing a general inspection. It has never been out and I just feel it might be time to check everything out anyway. I too was thinking about removing the intake instead of linkages to the carb. I still need to track down the charging problem as well.