Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
B110guy

B110 Gaskets again...?

B110guy

Pulled the flywheel and after some looking, I think the vast majority of the leak is coming from the pan gasket. From these pictures, would you guys recommend doing all the gaskets, or just the pan? I'm not a huge fan of playing with crank end play and all of the pulling the gaskets around the crank, but if I need to, I will.B110guy

Engine 1.jpg

Engine 2.jpg

Engine 3.jpg

57e058ec166c2_Engine1.jpg.79ff1968308d9b197887dea4fa32bded.jpg

57e058ec23b48_Engine2.jpg.3d9997b4f54571a8b35231ce81b45ea2.jpg

57e058ec30ce5_Engine3.jpg.d4ad1221b4e8fa2759c4ffb10f6fc375.jpg

Brettw

On an older engine, unless it needs internal work, I would not touch any gaskets that aren't leaking. Can. Worms. Open. Bed. Made. Lie.

That's my opinion. For what it's worth. Which ain't much.

B110guy

Thanks Brett and willy. I for sure don't want to start on a simple gasket project and wind up with a major overhaul. She runs good and strong, just leaks oil. Think I'll go with the pan gasket and some of the other minor ones that are weepy. I hate opening cans of worms. They always get expensive.

B110guy

dentwizz

Unlike the above(just my take), I would take the opportunity to inspect the piston/bore/rings. Even if they run good there can be cracks and other threshold issues not too far from major problems. Easily found and dealt with when open, catastrophic when ignored. Peace of mind is worth the hour of inspection. ;)

BLT

The oil pane looks like the gasket was installed bad to begin with. Just make sure you have scraped off all the old gasket. If all surfaces are flat and dry, you shouldn't need any gasket eliminator.

BLT

The oil pane looks like the gasket was installed bad to begin with. Just make sure you have scraped off all the old gasket. If all surfaces are flat and dry, you shouldn't need any gasket eliminator.