Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I "SAW" these and had to have them!

fishnwiz

What can I say? I found these "Pickin" the past few years and had to have them! I am a SUCKER for old motorized items. All were under 30 dollars and ALL run EXCELLENT! I want to tell you...these babies are LOUD! Ear muffs are a MUST!! One thing you do not need is any downward pressure when running these as they weigh a ton! You have to have arms like Popeye to hold these saws up all day and these are the small "Homeowner versions" Anyone else have a vintage chainsaw pics/ stories they can share with me or am I the only fool here? :o)

IMG_0001_70.jpg

IMG_0001_72.jpg

IMG_0001_71.jpg

IMG_0001_69.jpg

IMG_0001_70.jpg.6e719aa127417d4e592143647482a45c.jpg

IMG_0001_72.jpg.f1221e562f7d672bddaf64d127d0e284.jpg

IMG_0001_71.jpg.35a85239d1fbe9422fa2e7caa983e25f.jpg

IMG_0001_69.jpg.43316493b5527c50bf0116a3c8b404c7.jpg

We used a Homelite XL-12 for many, many years growing up.... it was our all-purpose farm saw, clearing brush, cutting locust fence posts, and sawing firewood. We heated entirely with wood... that thing had to have had thousands of hours on it by the time I left home and lost track.

Those are in beautiful original condition!

I can't imagine how loud they are. I have an "old" McCulloch 10-10S Professional and it is WAY louder than anything today, so I can't even imagine those. Great save on them!

Mark,You are not the only one. My saws are not as pretty as yours, but they are old. This is all due to a disease "Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder" CAD for short. I admit to a mild case of CADA good friend passed away last June and I inherited his pile of well used Homelites. 7 saws in all that I am trying to make 2 runners from.One decent Super XL Auto in a pile of 5.

SXLArs.jpg

Super XL 925's. Big old brute saws.

SXL925rs.jpg

A good running XL-12 from a flea market.

XL12rs.jpg

A great little Echo CS-302 from a garage sale.

CS302rs.jpg

Before and after pics of a neat old Pioneer 450 thatI got at a farm auction. Has a bad coil. Likely has the original bar and chain. Built in the '60's.

BEFORErs.jpg

AFTERrs.jpg

SXLArs.jpg.aa8b8dd994786eaa2bac6d13d92d8991.jpg

SXL925rs.jpg.aaa81337af2586f2aa8de4fab2133486.jpg

XL12rs.jpg.4986e84f5818bd733d3181d17d6fe239.jpg

CS302rs.jpg.a0a6371eadb9baaf79db5829b60291f3.jpg

BEFORErs.jpg.caae173fd0ea5a4e8b185a2ff5e3c936.jpg

AFTERrs.jpg.ebf3e95165a7dbbba23de65981b20770.jpg

Hey, the first saw I was ever involved in was a two man saw and I hated that thing cause I got the be the second "man" on it and we burned much wood in that house we lived in. Hardly any insullation which meant many hours in the woods. XX(

Actually thanks to your thread I just learned something. I've my grandpas saw he first bought to start his tree trimming business. It's a Dayton from late 60's early 70's I believe. I was using it about 10 years ago and locked up mid cut. Since I saw your thread sparked my interest and research shows its the same as an allis chalmers model 75. I also found it looks like poulan made them. Any one for sure if this correct? Still have the saw might need to look into fixing.

I'm still cutting with my homelite XL102. Had it since the early 70s, never thought of it being old, but come to think of it new parts do seem a little bit difficult to find nice saws you got there. does that XL12 have automatic oiler? the XL102 does, that might be the differance.

Oh yeah talk about loud, my ears ring so it like locusts are out year round. : )

Great pics!!

Cool Pioneer 8D also love the long saw.

To be honest with you guys, this is a small sample of a few of the more interesting vintage saws I own. I am not really sure what the exact number is but would not tell you anyways least you think I may have a severe case of "Cad"sm00!

A person would be amazed at the amount of neat old running saws that you can "Pick" for under 15.00 in my part of the country.

quote:Originally posted by Mike

that must be a gear reduction on the david bradley

id="quote">
id="quote">You are correct sir! And she "Kicks like a mule!" XX(

Cool saws! Must be old saw week! Just bought 9 Poulan saws to see if I can fix my AC 75. 2 were close matches and was able to get the AC running. It was my Dad's saw and we cut a lot of wood with it.

Super XL's & 925's are both manual and auto. I do not have either of those running, yet. I hope to soon.

I also have some other saws. A Homelite C-5 which I bought new in 1963. It still runs and cuts. A Homie Zip that needs a refurb, several Echos, a Poulan, etc. And, I don't heat with wood.

That's what CAD will do to you.

In my spare time from working on tractors, I have learned to rebuild

2 cycle carbs, do vacuum and pressure tests. I still have much to learn.

I was going to contribute to the "Senior Saw Circle", but I am having the same problem uploading the picture as B10Dave"No picture to upload"They say pic uploads are fixed...

My_Mac_610.jpg

AND so they are...TX BLT and Kent!!!0:)4ism06dOdThis saw was the result of a trade in (1977 dealer cost less 10%) for a 14" Remington, which had to cool down between re-fueling. The Mac weighs in at 20#, started with a 16" bar/chain, now using a 20" bar/chain, currently stalls under load 8C (heading to bench, in line (right after my 801-019 transaxle), She growls like a wounded bear, and runs all day, If I don't tire out 1st. I'm told it will handle up to a 24" bar.IT saws ALL!Wayne

My_Mac_610.jpg.ebfac9233a8aab2acae7508ad6615af1.jpg

Look new toys.Congradulations, on the saws , Just in time for Christmas. I personaly know what that XL 12 can do , have the same saw that I trimed and made fence rows with in the late 60's.The homelite is loud, leaks oil, sucks gas like it is thirsty,but runs like a top.The XL12 was one of the new light weight styles homelite came out with , beats the crap out of sawing with a super wiz 66 homelight . What a great find on the saws! jklw77

I have a few saws that make those look like new.They are not chain saws but belt or horse driven drag saws. 2 of them are in bad shape and need lots of work but the 3rd looks like it just came from the factory. My grandpa bought it new and used a hit and miss engine to run it. Even the rails still have the oringial paint on them. One of the saws was set up to be run with a horse sweep.Sure beat the heck out of a hand saw and faster.

The XL12 I have is a manual oiler.Made in the mid 60's. Tried to upload photos .No go.Bye the way mine still has the original piston and rings, and bar ,do not have a fire place so now the saw gets light use, it is a family heirloom

This is my older saw. It is a little 12in. limbing saw made by McCulloch. Don't know how old but it is new enough to have the chain brake. Bought at auction for $15. I do my serious cutting with a Stihl 028....Dave

saw001.jpg

saw002.jpg

saw001.jpg.c8afc4c4ea78498a155e013232a58072.jpg

saw002.jpg.f1b994582a9436104b0fb04ba11c9acd.jpg

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Anyone own any Remington chainsaws? Was curious of the quality of that make.

id="quote">
id="quote">I've got a 14" Remington electric (6lbs, and no exhaust fumes), Parts are very difficult to get since the corporation went bankrupt in 2009. It currently needs a new hand guard, and the chain needs sharpening! I have a downed 14" thick oak (thanks to Sandy), that needs to be diced.I run it off of a Dura-Max 4K gen-set,that'll run 8 hours on 4 gallons of regular gasoline.I'll post a pic, when I take one.Wayne

Dscn0711.jpg

Here she is weighing in at 6#. Something you can use all day long without getting a sore back! She can stand toe to toe with her big brother ProMac 610 for cutting power, up to 12-14 inch oaks! great for trimming branches, specially when on a ladder. The arrow points to the slack in the chain (the bar/chain tensionor needs to be adjusted!)

Dscn0711.jpg.78eb0ba7bdf14e1ba577523d265a8e61.jpg

I know Remington made gas saws in the 60's. I own a real nice double sided tin advertising sign for Remington saws and was curious on the cut and quality of this make.

IMG_4584.JPG

IMG_4584.JPG.d046892be5deb9bc35131070b4680bdc.JPG

• Who's Online (See full list)

• B10Dave
    • ShaunE
    • maxwood
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts