Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Theft Protection

jsarro

I am planning on setting up a tent garage this winter to store my tractors.

Is there any easy ways to disable or secure tractors to protect against theft, while still keeping it easy to use the tractor during the winter?

Are these tractors generally covered under home owners insurance against theft?

Thanks

Jack,

Don't bother with removing the keys. That will only frustrate you. Most key switches use the same key, especially for the same brand.

You homeowners insurance should cover tractor theft, but keep in mind your value will more than likely be higher than what you will get from insurance especially after you factor in your deductible.

I know a couple of members here have had their tractor stolen, maybe they will jump in and let you know how they made out with their insurance companies. Plus what they have done to prevent theft.

Good luck.

Rick..........

A big dog! An even bigger pistol! LOL:D Ultimately you can do everything right and there are still some bad apples in the bunch. My power steering sovereign was stolen with the cozy cab. I just hope it throws a rod and covers the thief in boiling oil followed by chaf! LOL

A "good" thief will figure a way to get what they want. I leave one out downhill with access through trees and under a deck against the wall without a battery or gas, but I don't use it for the winter. Someone could bring gas and a battery. A hidden switch in the starter circuit could work, but a winch or come along might let it be pulled onto a trailer. Remove a wheel, and a spare could be brought to move it. A strong chain and lock would at least slow down a thief or prevent an opportunistic one. Ask your insurance broker about coverage for your particular policy before you need to try a claim. Keeping it inside might make it more difficult, but won't prevent theft and you might have to repair your garage.

Guys, thanks for the good responses! dOd

The input helps give me some ideas on creating an obstacle to theft.

I know you can't stop a good thief per say, but I'd like to take some basic measures to make it a little difficult.

I may run a heavy chain from a tree into the tent, or chain a few tractors together.

Maybe go for the hidden kill switch.

I'll check in with my homeowners insurance for the details on deductibles etc.

One thought I had is. Do you own a trail camera? Set it where they can't get it and catch em in the act as a last way for protection if something happens. Just thinking about someones tractor being stolen makes my blood boil!

Convince your neighbors to buy John Deere. Thieves love the "green machines".

Seriously, install a disabled spark plug. It won't start, and they probably won't have the time to figure it out.

To disable the spark plug, break off the electrode, reinstall, and the current goes through the coil wire, but it won't fire.

Short of sitting on top of them with a loaded shotgun, ain't much that's foolproof. Chaining them together, and then to a tree, will slow them down, or encourage prospective thieves to search for easier pickin's.

quote:Originally posted by davidmoll

One thought I had is. Do you own a trail camera? Set it where they can't get it and catch em in the act as a last way for protection if something happens. Just thinking about someones tractor being stolen makes my blood boil!

id="quote">
id="quote">David, this is a great idea!Do trail cams have a light for recording at night also?I am planning to get into bow hunting next year so I need to get acquainted with this type of equipment anyway.You are right on the blood boil, what a violation. Generally thieves are not good people!

quote:Originally posted by Mike

I think lights with motion detectors work well for prevention

id="quote">
id="quote">Unfortunately my house is a little too far off where I want to put the tent. I don't think a motion light on the house will be sensitive enough.

Gary, your right most thieves will go for the shiny new John Deere.

The spark plug would work but I don't want to have to swap one out each time I use it.

Ken, I think that's the idea just make it annoying so they panic and split.

I live in a quiet easy going town with low crime, however I did hear of a riding lawn mower being stolen from my property when a prior owner lived here over 10 years ago.

Apparently a PO had brand new rider in the shed. Someone came along in broad daylight when the guy was at work, and took it right out of here.

Looking at my property I would never believe it.

My compact tractor weighs close to 3000 lbs with a rear implement and bucket attached. It is a good 12 ft long, not an easy thing to transport for most people. You are definitely not pushing it out of here. It would have to be started.

The smaller garden tractors would still be difficult to push any distance, and your still going to need a truck and ramps or trailer.

It is a shame people steal things that others work hard to earn, and we have to concern ourselves with this.

Down the line I'd like to build a wood framed or metal structure that is more secure.

Right now I am just trying to get the cars back in the garage.

"It is a shame people steal things that others work hard to earn, and we have to concern ourselves with this."

Some people include some government programs in this category.

quote:Originally posted by PGL

"It is a shame people steal things that others work hard to earn, and we have to concern ourselves with this."Some people include some government programs in this category.

id="quote">
id="quote">Peter, true in Canada and USA. Very sad!

You could try buying one of those wireless driveway alerts. It has a motion sensor on it that when someone walks past it, it goes off alerting the person inside. Our elderly neighbor has one and it works well. She has it next to her bed. It has a volume control she turns up during the day so she can hear it in the livingroom. The trail cameras have an infared light that allows pictures and video at night. Good luck. Roger.

There is a heck of a lot of things stolen during the day. Guys pick up a truck with a van body and paint a name on it like furniture store or heating/plumbing and unless you know that they aren't supposed to be there they can load up a few things and be gone.

Ditto, discouraging the thief is about the only real way to prevent theft. If the risk isn't worth the reward they'll go elsewhere.

I like chains and 'Smile, You're on camera' signs. Small tractors, lock them together. I have my log splitter chained to my MF50 or truck when it's not in use. The sheds are locked with visible master locks. My garage doors are powered so they stay shut (I lost a lot of car parts years ago because I was too lazy to lock the G/D).

Block the access to the shed and build some wooden walls inside it so you can have some shelves or a small work area. A 1/4" chain and a 4 pack of same keyed master locks will keep your goodies tied together.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

How about a Chuck Norris robot8D

id="quote">
id="quote">How about a large pictureof Nancy Polusi, or Hillery Clinton?}:)}:)}:)

My strategy is visible, matching keyed padlocks on both doors and 5 project mowers in various states of disrepair. Only 2 roll and only 1 of those run, and its behind some others that are dismantled. The Bigbox Crapsman is front and center. I'm hoping someone steals that so I'm forced to actually finish something.:D

Even if the portable garage is too far from the house to provide a security light, can you add security lights to the most likely path one would take to the portable garage?

You don't need to light the garage up, just the path that leads to the garage. This should discourage people from looking inside the garage if the only way to get to the garage is to walk into an area that is lit up.

Rick........

Take all the batteries out and chain the tractors to each other,also a few boards with nails in them stuck up lying around wouldn't hurt as most theives hit at night.Nothing beats a dog that will bark.A motion detector hooked to a siren and a recording of gunshots would probably be pretty good too.