Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Theft Protection

jsarro

I would I pad lock them hitch to hitch so that it's one big tractor knot. You may need some angle iron or a chain to make the distance, but it would help dissuade the opportunistic thieves.

Of course you could put a car alarm on them to;

That one may be a little overkill! :-)

Here is a thought. Harley makes a motion detector switch. When someone moves the bike a little, a very loud alarm goes off. I am sure it would work on our tractors.

I really enjoyed and laughed very hard reading all these great ideas to foil thieves. :DdOd

Some of the ideas reminded of my kids favorite movie series "Home Alone."

This is where the little kid inflicts great pain and booby traps on the robbers.

Last year my church shed was broken into. Country church with a quaint property a couple miles from anyone who would notice. They had just bought a zero turn Country CLipper(bleck) and had a rolled-over rag of a modern cub cadet hydro(sloooow). I had just converted the zero to a unique key system not the standard key. The key switch was unintentionally a 4 position unit with a 'headlights enable' position but I found out it would work the kholer engine with a skip position away from start. The user would turn the key to start but once started the spring return position would kill it and the next notch back would run, so when we knew that it would work fine. To the uninformed it would crank-start-die endlessly:D

They stole the cub8D

They punished themselves, lol. ;)

Even with the zero I would still mow with the 64 LL on 2 acres the Zero was only 20 mins faster. The Cub was almost an hour behind the LL.

quote:Originally posted by dentwizz

They stole the cub8D They punished themselves, lol. ;) Even with the zero I would still mow with the 64 LL on 2 acres the Zero was only 20 mins faster. The Cub was almost an hour behind the LL.

id="quote">
id="quote">What a testimonial to these old Simple Tractors! dOd

One of the things I do is I use a thick cable vs a chain. It is much harder to cut a cable than an chain. I get these cables from wally world and they are for a bicycle and come with a semitamper-proof lock. The cable looks like it's about 1/2 inch diameter and the lock is big too. So hopefully that will slow down or frustrate a thief.

BTW, these tractors that are locked down are at my Dad's camp where the neighbors have a mighty interest in things that don't belong to them - especially when you are no where near the property.

The other thing I don't do is keep these tractors looking good. No new paint, lots of dust, cracked seats, etc. Heck - when I look at them, I'm not sure I want them either - LOL!!! But the point is - I got a cable and lock on an otherwise ugly tractor (which unknown to the thief - runs great) and so with that combo I'm hoping I can avoid a theft.

Good luck,

Bill

All this talk is making me feel very vunerable even though I live far back from the main road, but you never know what delivery guys see bringing stuff to the house. Time to chain up my Husky Log splitter and lock up the shed. My dogs will let me know if someone is there when I'm there but when were not home the neighbors can't see what's going on at the house.

A friend of mine has a classic Dodge Charger, He has a sign in the window.

DON"T TOUCH,

Notice

This CAR HAS NOT YET BEEN FINGER PRINTED!!!

He said it works for him.

First good idea is large chains thru frame members or around axles.

I would also consider a low tech thing i found worked for me a couple times.a torn piece of cardboard with sloppy writing with a sharpie. Dont run. No oil pressure... leave that wired on the steering wheel.

let the air out of the tires and put the tractor on blocks/stands so it does not ruin the tires. most thieves are scrappers and most thieves wont try and start a small tractor to steal it. two guys can push a tractor, stand it on end and lift it into a truck in a matter of minutes . we all now how hard a tractor is to push with just one flat tire.

• 3 weeks later...

As I understand GPS tags are getting cheaper, kinda like the Lowjack systems. They steal it, you locate it and drive up with the Sheriff. Good way to root these guys out once and for all.

would-be theives hate Locks/Lights/Loud noises...

You should do any or all listed to make them look for an easier target. Lock em, Light em and use alerts like dogs/alarms/etc...like the loud crack of a 9mm sm01

Lowes/Menards uses a heavy cable to string them together...it must work?

Out of sight is important. If people can get a look inside the tent or know what is in there, that puts you at quite a disadvantage. A strong cable strung through the tractors and a really strong lock perhaps.

Greg and Don,

Thanks for the good ideas.

I am definitely go to do as much as possible.

I think cable and locks is key to keeping them put though.